Madeye Moody

Madeye Moody

Despite what others could and would say about Alistair "Madeye" Moody, there was one thing that they would never question. Just one thing. His instinct. Mad he may be, angry, disrespectful and brash, even.

But his instincts were still as sharp as ever.

And that night at the Quidditch Cup his instincts told him that something wasn't right. It started with the appearance of that Michael Crumbley..then Lucius Malfoy and finally, Hadrian Black. Then later, his gut feeling got worse.

Tension was in the air and he could feel something coming. The man had been patroling around the tents with his apprentice, Nymphadora Tonks, or just Tonks as she preferred, when they heard the first scream.

"Tonks, go help anyone, children especially, that hasn't left yet. Warn the people nearest. Do not engage in a duel with anyone unless absolutely necessary!" hissed the elder auror and Tonks looked irritated but nodded quickly, going off in another direction while Moody tried his best to get to the Death Eaters orchestrating this attack.

He pulled his wand, striking the nearest Death Eater, then all hell broke loose.

The Death Eaters pulled their wands, aiming for Moody just as another group of aurors appeared. Spells flew and in the commotion Moody's magical eye trained on something to his left.

A group of wizards, young and a tad older, seperating. But his eyes widened when he saw Sirius Black running off with Remus Lupin. The man was under glamour..but wouldn't Remus be able to smell his scent?

His nostrils flared with the realization that there may be traitors in their midst and though he knew he should continue the battle with the main group of Death Eaters, he took the first opening he saw and ran after Remus and Sirius as quickly as he could with his maimed leg.

"Remus!"

The wolf froze and Sirius suddenly shot a spell at him, causing him to hiss in pain as the skin on his right hand was suddenly boiling hot, the flesh beginning to peel itself from the bone.

Sirius bolted the other way and Remus held his hand as Moody approached.

"Did you know that was Sirius? I have no doubt you could smell him." he snapped and Remus winced, taking his other hand and gripping his wand as steadily as he could, aiming at his wounded hand. "Yes. But I thought that if I could gain his trust again he'd follow me to "safety" when really he'd follow me right to Dumbledore. I smelled his scent earlier. I'm not sure where he is now." muttered the wolf, uttering a spell under his breath and Moody watched as the skin reattached itself rather quickly.

Remus was a good asset to have, being good in most fields. But still..there was something prickling at the back of Moody's mind. He just couldn't figure out what right then. There was no time.

"Right. You six! Over here!" growled the elder auror and Remus let his expression remain neutral as more aurors surrounded them, waiting for orders. "Come with me. Sirius Black is here and we won't let him escape. Got it? Stick with me."

"Do you really need seven people to take down one man?" asked the youngest auror and Moody almost growled, before he was interrupted by Remus' scoff. "If you think otherwise, you're a fool. Sirius Black was the best dueler then and I highly doubt that'd change now. Be careful. And I should let you know, there's a spell we use to use as kids to get out of sticky situations. You'll have to keep him as distracted as you can because if he claps his hands, he's gone." muttered the wolf and Moody cursed.

"What's the spell?" he growled and Remus' eyes flashed gold briefly before the color was gone just as quickly and he shrugged. "I can't tell you that. Black and I have a lot of the same tricks. We grew up together. If I give away all his, I'd be giving away my own." Moody narrowed his eyes at the man but gave a jerk of his head and made off with the aurors.