A Dark Lord's Smile (Tadeus Nott)

For the first time, in a long time, Tom Riddle was smiling.

Tadeus had remembered meeting Tom in school. The boy had made friends with Abraxas Malfoy and they were polar opposites.

Whereas Abraxas was outgoing and stuck up, arrogant. Tom was a loner, soft spoken and humble. Abraxas owned everyone and everything then.

But to Tadeus, Tom owned Abraxas.

And Abraxas, had not objected to this. For the first few months at Hogwarts, Tadeus hadn't understood why he was so attracted to Tom. The boy was obviously mentally and physically abused at home, poor and in need of affection.

Yet he did not act like it. No, Tom Riddle didn't even have to act as if he were better than everyone else, because he was. The half-blooded Slytherin heir was more handsome than the other boys, more intelligent, he had more magic and he had a confidence that no one could match.

When Tadeus thought about it, it wasn't any of that however that attracted him to the man.

Of course he adored Tom's other qualities as much as any of the Death Eaters. His magic especially. No. It was his smile, that attracted Tadeus. Or lack of a smile, so to speak. As long as Tadeus had known him, Tom had never smiled. Not truly. He could give fake, charming smiles to people he wanted to use.

But never a true smile.

No.

It had been quite a while before Tadeus witnessed the man smile.

The very first time was on the first birthday he spent with Abraxas. Tadeus had come over to watch Tom unwrap his presents. The boy was awkward with the attention and wouldn't look at them, but as he opened their gifts, he smiled.

It was small, thin, just barely there, but it made his eyes shine with something Tadeus wanted to make him every day.

Happiness.

That was why Tadeus Nott chose to stay beside the Dark Lord.

To make him happy. To see that smile every time he did something to please the man. He didn't care if he had to murder a house full of children (which he had, ironically), just to do so, he would make sure Tom was always happy.

And as time passed, he was.

He smiled more. Even smirked.

He...laughed with his inner circle, when before, only Abraxas could get a small chuckle from him.

His smile made Tadeus' life all the more worth living.

So when the Dark Lord became angry and stressed during the time before Dumbledore had vanquished him, Tadeus grew worried. Angry. Even depressed. He didn't want Tom to be upset. He did everything to make him feel better. But it was hard with Abraxas gone. Tom adored Abraxas. Even if he wouldn't admit it.

They were best friends.

When the man died, Tom faulted himself and would never speak his name. If the others did, he would have a hollow look in his eyes. Like something was missing. And it was, for the longest time. Then, Lilian announced she was pregnant.