The Yule Ball

The Yule Ball

"Are you sure we should be holding this dance right now Albus?" commented McGonagall, watching as the house elves began to string up decorations around the Great Hall, moving the usual House tables to make room for the dance floor.

Albus Dumbledore himself sighed deeply, seeming more tired than usual.

"No. But we need to keep the students' spirits up. They are still children. This talk of war will only make it harder for them to study and have fun being kids. They shouldn't be afraid for their lives at school." he said, his voice soft and McGongall could understand the sentiment even though she had been questioning Albus for some time now.

A lot of his reasonings didn't make sense.

One of the first being when he attempted to put Harry- Hadrian, in the care of Lily's muggle relatives. Or whoever they were.

They knew those muggles hated anything having to do with magic. Frank wasn't wrong in believing that Hadrian wouldn't have been treated properly there.

But McGonagall never questioned it. She never questioned anything that Dumbledore had done and she just didn't understand why. Blind faith? But now, she didn't know what to think.

Severus didn't seem affected, though..she wouldn't be surprised if he was genuinely on the Dark Lord's side after all this time. Hell, the man was friends with Remus Lupin. When at first it seemed as if they would hate each other till their graves.

There was so much she didn't know.

How could she be so naive?

"I suppose, you're right." she finally responded and left the headmaster to his own devices. Her house was still at their wits end. She had no idea how the night would go.

Severus Snape himself, was walking through the Slytherin common room, helping students with their dress robes. Most in Slytherin House were accustomed to dances and balls such as these but the few half-bloods were nervous and wanted to make good impressions.

From what he knew the Inferno would be going with one another and Hadrian's Hollows had their own dates. Tom, had been invited as well, since it was becoming common news that Michael Crumbley was also Hadrian's Consort.

Severus found it amusing that most of the Slytherin had begun whispering about the Dark Lord and how Hadrian would make a good spouse for him, not knowing that he and Michael Crumbley were one and the same.

"Have you seen Sirius yet? He's coming under glamour as well. Lucius was invited as well as Tadeus." commented Remus, stepping inside. The man was dressed in robes of gray and a very dark emerald green. His hair was styled to perfection and he was glancing down at his watch, brows scrunched.

Severus thought he looked delicious.

"I have not no. But if I know Sirius, he'll make an entrance, darling." said the Slytherin Head of House, his lips twitching with a smug smile when Remus paused to look him over.

"You're wearing color." he commented and Severus nodded once. "I suppose I do look nice." he replied, Remus snorting in amusement. "It's a good change for you. Even if it's only white." he said.

Indeed, the dungeon bat wore robes of pure white and silver. A contrast to his dark hair and near black eyes but it suited him nicely and would match the bright decorations of the Great Hall.

"Perhaps we should have matched." said Severus, glancing between the two and Remus hummed. "It wouldn't suit us. We're all so bloody different. I know if Sirius would, he be prancing around in pink and blue just to make an odd statement." he said, smiling when Severus laughed quietly.