What Mask?

What Mask?

As soon as he had finished his breakfast, Hadrian stood, not bothering to tell Neville to stay behind.

He'd rather not have someone try anything else. Of course he could handle himself and Anubis and Isis could scare off anyone, but just in case Dumbledore had any tricks up his sleeve, he would be cautious.

"So, have you and Ron been fairing well?" he asked, looking over at his friend and Neville seemed to blush. "Yeah..we finally kissed a week ago. I'll never forget it." he mumbled, his eyes glazing over slightly and Hadrian smirked. "I was wondering when you'd kiss. He started it?"

"Yes." muttered Neville and Hadrian snickered. "I can only imagine your face-"

"Shut up. Like you weren't the same when Tom took your first kiss." Neville shot back, embarrassed and Hadrian rolled his eyes. "I suppose.." he however did not speak about the man again. He was still infuriated that Tom would ignore Draco because of something he couldn't control.

"How are things at our base?"

"They should be finished soon. In time for the meeting with the vampires and the dark elves. Charlie has also mentioned that the wizards of Rome would like a council with yourself and Tom. They find your views on things intriguing. Their own ministry is being corrupted by Dumbledore's people and they want it to stop." explained Neville and Hadrian hummed.

"I see. Write to Charlie. Tell him to set up a date this summer. It seems we'll be busier than we had anticipated." said the raven and Neville gave a slight bow as the two finally stopped at the gargoyle that hid Dumbledore's office.

It moved almost immediately and Neville leaned against the wall.

"I'll be here." Hadrian nodded, then trotted up the stairs quickly, eager to see what Dumbledore had to say now. It had been some time since they spoke. Hadrian wouldn't have it any other way, but of course, as the saying goes, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

He'd like to check in on the supposed light Lord.

"Ah, Heir Black," commented Dumbledore, pausing as the regal boy entered the room, his expression one of amusement and curiosity. The same expression a young Tom held whenever he knew he had won. But what did Hadrian gain that Dumbledore hadn't?

The boy had been near death. He couldn't...

But his friends...

Dumbledore inwardly cursed but forced a smile on his face as the boy look a seat, legs crossed and chin in the palm of his hand as he met the man's icy blue gaze.

"Good morning Headmaster. To what do I owe the displeasure?" said Hadrian, a smile playing on his lips and Dumbledore chuckled. "Well I've never had someone so blatantly admit to my face that they'd rather be anywhere else but in my presence." he said and Hadrian tilted his head.

"Did I say that? No, I did not. If you wish to assume things, you may." he said and Dumbledore cleared his throat. "Right. Well, I just wanted to check on you. After the scare you gave us, I thought it was necessary. Madam Pomfrey-"

"The scare I gave you? Why, you must be confused, sir. I'm sure you haven't forgotten that it was you that caused such a scare." smiled Hadrian, eyes gleaming dangerously and Dumbledore stiffened but chose to ignore those words. "Madam Pomfrey mentioned that there had been considerable damage to your magic core. I hope there are no complications?"

Hadrian laughed at that, his shoulders shaking and Dumbledore waited patiently until the boy's laughter had ceased.

"Really. This has got to be the best laugh I've had in a long time. But, so you won't get the wrong idea," the raven waved a hand and Dumbledore watched as the objects in his room began floating around, replacing themselves rather neatly on different shelves. The room suddenly darkened and Dumbledore's lip twitched at the sight of green curtains.

In fact Hadrian had just redecorated his entire room in a matter of seconds. It looked more...Slytherin friendly.

"Does that answer your question? I believe my magic is as strong as ever." smiled the raven, and Dumbledore nodded once.

"I see..would you mind returning my office to its original state?"

"Of course. When I leave. Is that all Headmaster?"

Dumbledore stared at the boy, then let his expression fall from its usually friendly state.

"I've noticed something, Heir Black." he said and Hadrian raised a brow. "Have you? May I ask, what?" responded the young Slytherin wizard and Dumbledore chose his words very carefully. "Your resemblance to a certain Dark Lord. He had a mask-"

"Mask? What mask?" interrupted Hadrian and Dumbledore gave him a look. "That mask. That innocent mask you use to fool those around you. It is a good one. But I see past it."

At this, Hadrian chuckled, shaking his head.

"Mask? No, you misunderstand me Albus." Dumbledore's lip twitched with the use of his first name, but he remained silent.

"You see, I have not hidden myself from you. No..I may be cautious. Careful. Intelligent. Observing, even. But I have never put up a mask. What you see, is only part of who I am. Yes, it seems like a mask but it is not. No, Albus. This Hadrian standing before you, speaking to you as an equal, though I doubt you'd admit that, is me. No mask. I have never fooled anyone. I have never lied nor misled you. Nor have I hid from you." Hadrian placed a hand on the man's desk, the hand that hid his heir rings and Dumbledore stared as the rings appeared before him.

"In fact. To prove this, I'll even let everyone know just who I am. Heir of Slytherin, Heir Black and Heir Grindelwald. And..you want to know a secret?" whispered Hadrian, eyes twinkling in the way Dumbledore's so often did.

"I am all ears." replied the man and Hadrian hummed.

"You are right. I have met Tom. He is, such good company."

The room was dead silent and Hadrian stood straight once again.

"Good talk, Headmaster. And, if you ever stick a rat on me again, I'll shove one down your throat." he smiled and Dumbledore finally spoke.

"Are you not worried about me bringing this memory to the ministry?"

Hadrian tutted, sighing deeply. As if disappointed.

"Remember what I said to you first year?"

Dumbledore paled.

"Oh, he is only a child. That I am. One with friends in very high places."

"Impossible." he whispered.

Michael Crumbley.

Hadrian smirked and finally left the room, leaving a stricken Dumbledore.

The man was so lost in thought, that he had not noticed the room returning to its original state, nor did he notice the portrait of Headmaster Phineas Black, laughing heartily.