Nightmares (Draco)

Nightmares (Draco)

Draco shot up, breathing heavy and limbs shaking as his eyes darted toward Hadrian.

The boy was still fast asleep, Anubis curled up by his side.

"Master?"

Draco sighed deeply and rubbed his eyes, trying to get ahold of the lingering fear he felt, with no luck. He could still see the blood, hear Hadrian screaming and shuddered, his eyes stinging with tears.

It shouldn't have affected him so much, but ever since that day with the dementor he had been having nightmares. Nightmares of Hadrian dying. Each way worse than the last. He told himself that he would never let that happen. That it couldn't. Not with all the people that cared about the raven, but his subconscious thought otherwise.

"Draco?"

The blonde sighed and smiled slightly as Solaris jumped up into his bed, the large feline cuddling up to him in a show of comfort. He ran his fingers through her soft fur and yawned.

"I'm sorry Solaris, I didn't mean to worry you." he said back and she tilted her head as she looked up at him, eyes seeming to glow in the darkness. "I can smell fear from you. What's wrong?" she asked and he sighed again, rubbing a hand over his face.

"It's nothing." he muttered.

Actually, I think it's something.

Draco tensed up and looked over at Hadrian, but the raven hadn't stirred. He swallowed and closed his eyes as he focused on Tom's presence in his mind.

Tom?

There is only one.

Right..did I wake you?

Not really. I was already up, discussing things with your father. I got a bit distracted when I felt your fear..and pain.

Draco cringed at that.

I'm sorry. It won't-

Why are you apologizing? I am not upset with you. In fact, I am more worried than anything. What are you so afraid of, dragon?

The words were soft in his mind, soothing and he could feel the genuine worry coming from the Dark Lord. They had never interacted like this before. They usually interacted when Hadrian was around. Of course Draco did care for Tom, he was just a tad awkward in showing it.

That day with the dementor..when Hadrian had been lying there, bleeding..I can't stop thinking about how he would've been..and now I keep having nightmares about it. They get worse every time. I know it would never happen, but it still terrifies me. If he were to ever..

Draco flinched, unable to say the word even in his mind. His hands shook and he had to get up, pacing the room quickly, trying to shake off these feelings. They weren't like him but with each thought of Hadrian like that..he only got worse. His stomach churned and he felt like he might throw up.

Draco, you're panicking. Take a deep breath.

Draco stopped, forcing himself to do as he was told and heard a hum in his mind.

Good. There are several reasons why it's affecting you so much, but I can understand your fear. I may hide it, but I am also terrified of loosing Hadrian. Of loosing you. It's only natural. Especially in a world like ours. I know you can guess just how powerful he will become and how many enemies he may gain. And you have to be prepared for that.