Chapter 8 - Worry

"Quit worrying, we're going to get her back" suggested Remus when James kept running through his "checklist to save my sister or I will kill that bloody git before he can say 'stupefy'" for the fifth time that day.

Kate pointed out, "you already checked off every box on that bloody list. We just have to wait for Dumbledore's signal any minute now."

"Which was supposed to be about an hour ago," remarked Sirius. He was the quietest one out of the entire group which was very unusual and slightly alarming considering he was always the exact opposite of quiet.

"Alright, Sirius don't be so hopeful now, eh?" Kate professed before getting swatted in the arm by Lily.

"OWW, why'd you hit me?" cried Kate.

Lily scolded, "He is in shock Katherine and you're here being sarcastic."

Kate tried defending herself, "Lily I'm just trying to keep things normal. You know Marlene would do the same if she were here."

"Now that you mention it, what happened with Marlene?" asked Peter.

"She is away on a reconnaissance mission. She can't make it here on time so we told her to just stay." Lily explained.

After a pause, Kate whispered, "By the way Lils, we're all scared for Joanna."

Remus would have been quite amused with the whole exchange had it been under different circumstances. He knew worrying about Jo was inevitable but he hoped that saying "don't worry" out loud enough times would somehow make it true; it was as if a bucket of cold water splashed his face every time it didn't.

The dwindling fire in the corner of the flat abruptly gained strength when Dumbledore's face appeared in the burning pieces of wood, "My friends, it is time."

"How can we even apparate inside Hogwarts?" chimed Peter.

Dumbledore answered, "Mr. Pettigrew, I think you and your friends know of a way to secretly get to Hogwarts from Hogsmeade. Don't you, Remus?"

"Yes Headmaster; we're ready," Remus assured.

"And you're sure this plan will work?" questioned James.

"It's the best we have got Mr. Potter," was Dumbledore's reply.

Kate's tone gave her thought away, "Well that's bloody reassuring."

"I'm afraid time is of the essence. I shall go on with my part and see you soon," and with that, the old wizard was gone.

James raised his voice, startling everyone deep in thought (or rather, worry), "Well, you all heard him. Let's go!"