Chapter 60 - Creased

Joanna left before Sirius had woken up, only leaving a note claiming she had received an Order mission. Kate wasn't an early bird, and she didn't think Marlene would appreciate her barging in their flat in the wee morning, either. She couldn't risk going to James for this. Not yet, anyway.

But her jumper itched, her hair was dirty, and she forgot to put socks on. It was cold out and she hadn't had her cup of tea.

"Thanks for letting me stop by so early, Pete. Hope I didn't wake you up," she placed her coat on the coat rack.

"N-no worries. I couldn't sleep much, either," he shuffled about the kitchen. His hands scrambled for sugar and biscuits. The kettle was already on.

"How's your mum? Is she doing better?" She decided to sit at the table. It was the only uncluttered area in the room.

Peter responded, "Uh... My mum? Yeah, she's fine..."

"Want milk?" He brought over the tray to the table.

Had he always been that fidgety?

"No thanks. I like mine dark," she smiled as she took a sip of the hot liquid. She peered over the cup while her friend excused himself to look for something.

Standing up, she walked over to the living room. Family portraits lay scattered throughout. Smaller Peters looked timidly at her before turning back to their mother. Jo couldn't remember the last time she had seen the woman. She knew her parents had been alive then.

A pinned map fluttered from the wall. Drawing pins dotted the entire surface. Their locations seemed familiar.

She raised her voice, "Are these the Order missions, Pete?"

The marauder reappeared in the doorway, it seemed the running around drained all the color from his face.

"What--Order... Um, yes. Th-They're missions," he scratched the back of his neck.

Jo raised her eyebrows, "That's actually brilliant. It's like the one in Mad-Eye's office."

Peter only chuckled in response before offering her more biscuits.

"You know, Jo, I got called today. So I-I need to leave. Right now. I-I'm sorry you can't stay longer," he sputtered, already grabbing her coat and beckoning them towards the front door.

"Oh, alright. Thank you for the--" But the door shut in her face. "Tea," she whispered. Typical Peter.

Joanna didn't know where else to go. A drizzle began to tickle her face. Sirius would probably be awake, drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette on the balcony. He would be reading the headlines of the Prophet and then throw it away in disgust once the stories got too gruesome. She could see "Another Wizarding Family's Mysterious Disappearance" sprawled in moving bold letters at the top of the rubbish bin.

If she could get some breakfast to surprise Kate and Marlene, perhaps they wouldn't kill her for waking them up so early. And she could take her time walking there. Some exercise won't be too bad, she mumbled.

 *   *   *   *   *   

Kate began, "Where'd you get these rowies? They're just as good as the ones your mom makes." She pointed at Marlene shoveling another forkful of eggs into her mouth.

Jo shrugged her shoulders, "It was some muggle baker's I found two streets away from here."

"You're lucky we're hungry. Or else I don't know what I would've done with you dripping water all over the floor when the sun's barely out." Marlene spoke with her mouth full.