Chapter 39 - Unfair

Jo was hoping her flushed cheeks weren't visible from talking with Sirius. He had been able to sneak away from the boys during their free period, and Jo was supposed to be headed to her charms class. They sat together on a banister, his large palms warming her smaller ones.

Her baby hairs were spread out all across her face, with every inhale she'd inevitably get one stuck in her mouth. She was trying not to breathe too hard, but his grey eyes entranced her, bored holes into her heart, kept her insides all cozy and fuzzy. Sirius reached out to delicately tuck the strands of hair behind her ears. Her heart was practically skipping a beat and her chest felt tight at the feeling of his fingers softly tracing her cheeks.

How was she able to stay calm all those years of knowing him? How had she maintained her composure every time they talked before? How did she not get enraptured by the way his curls bounced and whirled around his head when playing quidditch?

"SIRIUS BLACK WHY AREN'T YOU DOING YOUR HOMEWORK?" A distinct accent shrieked from behind his figure.

The pair quickly untangled themselves off each other as they turned to face a cackling Kate with a clueless James unveiling the invisibility cloak that covered them.

The witch clutched her stomach, "I wish I could've seen your face, but that jump was enough to know how scared you are of McGonagall."

"I am not. Just wasn't alert, is all," his voice cracked.

Her eyes bounced around her flustered friends, but James was completely oblivious as he questioned, "Sure, mate. Anyway, what were you two doing here?"

Sirius fumbled, "Oh we, um..."

James interrupted, "Didn't I tell you? We have practice today."

"But I've got class--" Jo stated.

"The real McGonagall already told Flitwick for us. I thought that's what you two were doing -- going to practice?" Kate insinuated.

Jo avoided Kate's knowing gaze, "Right. Yeah..."

"We were... We just had to take a pit stop," Sirius made up, his index finger shooting up in the air as the idea spurt out of his mouth.

James began to slowly walk towards the courtyard, "Alright, well Kate and I've got to set up the pitch before everyone else comes and it seems you guys still have to get ready."

Sirius grinned, "We'll leave you to it."

"Don't think I didn't see you holding hands, " Kate whispered before trailing behind James.

Jo tried to catch up with her friend, "Katie--"

The witch winked, "Don't worry, I won't tell."

She sighed in relief before hearing, "But you better promise to tell me everything later!"

Jo shooed her friend away as she breathed out, "That was a close one."

Sirius agreed, "Don't have to tell me twice."

Jo continued, "This is why we have to stick to the schedule, if we did we wouldn--"

"If it means getting to spend more time with you, I don't care if we almost get caught," he revealed.

She looked up at him and couldn't fight against that. As they walked to the common room to drop off her bag and get their uniforms, Jo still felt his hand graze hers and smiled all the way back.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *

Kate casually asked, "So what's going on?"

Jo rambled, "Well we're currently in a village that has been ransacked by Death Eaters, a greedy lunatic is getting more power which is causing a whole wizarding war which is pretty awful..."

Kate interjected, "You think I didn't notice how awful you guys looked?"

Jo rebuked, "I don't think you've quite grasped the concept of a friendly compliment. It's when you're friends--"

"Drop it, Joanna," Kate glared back.

"I have no clue what you're talking about, Katherine," Jo folded her arms while trying not to rumple the maps and documents she was holding

Kate elaborated, "The bags under your eyes, his furrowed brows, you standing on opposite sides of the room without saying so much as a hello to each other. "

"Oh... That," Jo rolled her eyes.

Kate stopped them in their tracks, "You should be glad James is as dense as it gets and Lils is at home. But you can't fool me."

Jo scratched the back of her head, "So have you found a flat for you and Marls yet?"

"You do realize who you're talking to right now? Don't change the subject," Kate lightly shoved her.

Jo stared at the broken window pane of a little bakery, "We had a row, okay? It was a stupid argument."

"Doesn't seem like it was," Kate clarified.

Jo continued dodging, "I was being stupid and then I said something very stupid and then he left."

"He left?" Kate raised her eyebrows.

Jo stared at some of the ruined pastries beneath the heap of rubble and glass, "Yeah, he's been sleeping at Peter's, I think."

Kate reasoned, "Knowing Sirius, I'm sure he said some pretty stupid shit too."

"I guess we both did. But I think I hit the nail in the coffin, I--" Jo noted.

Her best friend grabbed onto her shoulders tight, "Did you mean it?"

"What?" Jo finally looked at her friend.

"Did you mean whatever it was you told him?" Kate explained.

Jo quickly answered, "No. Absolutely not. I was just... mad..."

Kate continued to dig deeper, "At him?"

Jo replied, "Not really. Well, I was a little. It's just... unfair."

"What is?" She inquired one last time.

Jo let out, "Everything -- Regulus, my parents, last year..."

"Maybe you should tell him that," Kate suggested.

"Maybe," Jo sighed as they continued surveying and recording all the destroyed shop fronts and vandalized homes.