Chapter 32 - Turning

"Such a shame Mum and Dad couldn't make it," James sighed as he snuggled up on the couch with a dozing Lily.

Joanna revealed, "They did say they were tired, so we shouldn't press them about it."

"You're right, Lily and I can go over there tomorrow and tell them personally without Marlene and Kate obliterating their eardrums," her brother resolved.

Jo defended her friends, "They were just... excited, James. In fact, you and Sirius were like that a couple of hours ago!"

Before James could present his rebuke, Sirius stated, "So the matter is settled. How were Effie and Monty feeling anyway?"

James disclosed, "They just sent an owl telling us they were a bit under the weather. I suppose it's a seasonal cold or something."

They all hummed in agreement and let the subject go before eventually heading off to sleep until twilight.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"James. James. JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER!" in a flash, James was already upright on the bed, alarmed and frantic.

"Sorry, love, it was the only way to wake you." Lily shyly whispered in the dark room.

Half-asleep, he asked, "What's going on? Are you hurt?"

"No, but we have to go to St. Mungo's," she divulged in a serious tone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Everything went by in a blur. People walked past them unaware of what was going on. The bright lights and the freezing temperature felt surreal. Suddenly, a pop disrupted the uncomfortable silence in the air when Sirius and Joanna apparated into the waiting area of the hospital.

Jo raced towards Lily, "Are they alright? What happened?"

"Well they were feeling sick before, and it turns out they've contracted dragon pox," Lily winced as she saw her sister's reaction. Jo's heart dropped to her stomach.

Sirius reasoned, "But there's a cure for that. When I was nine - I took one when I got it."

"There is a cure but it seems they let it advance too much. The healers told us they may have gotten a harsh strain and with their old age, they're... compromised," she hesitantly acknowledged.

James stood still, staring at the doors that led to the personnel-only wing.

Joanna's voice trembled, "So what does that mean?"

"There's not much we can do but wait and see if they get better," Lily declared, trying to maintain the optimism.

Jo simply buried her face in Sirius' chest, wishing she didn't have to face another tragedy so soon.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Things for the Potters were looking grim around half past four when one of the healers advised them to start saying their goodbyes.

At a quarter past five, Jo and Sirius stepped out of the room taking their masks off, with swollen red eyes, leaving James to go in by himself.

Euphemia and Fleamont laid on the white beds, looking unrecognizable with greenish hues and straining for air. Fleamont sneezed sparks coming out of his nose and James flinched backward. He looked out the window at Lily for reassurance and continued.

"Umm, well, I've got news for both of you," he began as he sat down in between his parents.

"I hope Jo and Sirius didn't spoil it. But you'd never get mad at them for it anyway," he paused hoping to hear a response or at least a chuckle.

"I guess I'll just go ahead and say it. Lily and I are expecting a baby... Which means you guys are going to be grandparents," he choked out.

He noticed his mother stir in her sleep and went to hold her hand. Her grip was weak, but he could still feel the warmth of her palm.

James continued, "Uhh we haven't decided on a name yet, obviously. But Sirius already suggested Elvendork because it's unisex."

He swore he could hear his father attempt to laugh at the remark so he went on, "He thinks because he's the uncle he's already got rights over choosing the name. And I personally don't mind, but Lils on the other hand..." he laughed to himself.

"Umm, I want to thank you for being the best parents on the planet. For keeping up with all my pranks and jokes, for giving me a little sister, and eventually allowing me to get a brother... I... I uhh hope you guys can hear me and that you know we all love you both. Very much," he sobbed into the bedsheets until a healer came in to take him away.

There were two fewer Potters in the wizarding world at ten to eight but the wizarding world kept turning, unaffected by the loss. 

A/N: Ugh this was so sad to write, hence the delay. Hope you guys don't mind the different, James-centric chapter... Xx lovelies :(