Chapter 10 - A Diversion

In the forest, Joanna was feeling weaker. Before disapparating from the Malfoy Manor, Bella decided to have another round of fun with her. Under normal circumstances, apparating was not the most pleasant experience so apparating under duress made it 100 times worse.

The second her feet hit the floor, Joanna threw up right on Fenrir's feet. 'At least he gets that' thought Jo. Immediately she felt his claws insert themselves on her back and slide all the way down. The hairs on her neck were raised as he grunted, clearly disgusted by her small form of revenge.

Trying to stifle a laugh Bella commented, "Watch where you make a mess love, it's not a good look on you."

* * * *

Now that she was not bound by any of the criminals, Joanna was still finding it hard to breathe as she tried to run alongside Sirius. She would have lagged had he not been ardently holding her hand - almost dragging her with him. Once again, she tried her best not to show her current physical inability. Her mind was a mess full of insecurities and feelings of unworthiness: it was because of Joanna that all of her friends could have almost died.

A distant voice made its way to the couple, "Get them Regulus!"

Leaves rustled as running footsteps got closer.

Joanna did not want to tell Sirius so she kept going, but she was on the verge of collapsing.

Due to the plan, Sirius and Joanna were not escaping to the Whomping Willow but rather through the forest and into Hogwarts. Dumbledore thought it would be wise to create a diversion and have the crew split up in two.

"You can not take any chances with Bellatrix," mentioned the Headmaster, "especially when we're going to trick her."

The trees were beginning to thin out and Joanna could make out the outline of the snow-covered buildings she had been happily going to class in just three weeks before.

Sirius's voice broke her concentration, "Jo just a bit more and we can go home."

His grey eyes met hers and she found the much-needed strength to continue.

Once inside, they slowed down their pace. They had to make their way to Dumbledore's office.

As they went up the stairs they heard the same pair of footsteps approach them. Making a run for it again, they got off on the next floor and turned for one of the dark corridors. Unfortunately, Jo tripped on the long robes she was wearing. Clearly, they were not hers. Regulus finally caught up.

The Black brothers had their wands pointed at each other's throats.

Sirius questioned, "How could you Regulus? She was your only friend."

"I didn't want to, brother. I..." Reg couldn't finish, he knew everything that would come out of his mouth would sound like an excuse.

Joanna interrupted the siblings still out-of-breath, "Sirius... he sent the message... He helped me."

Sirius faced Joanna and the rage in his eyes immediately disappeared when they met hers. "Is that true?"

"Yes" was Regulus's meek response.

Both brothers lowered their wands at the revelation.

"Still doesn't explain why he did this to you in the first place," Sirius motioned towards Joanna's bloody face and bruised body.

"I was following his orders, I had to prove myself."

"No matter the cost, no matter if it meant almost killing her," was Sirius' emotionless response.

A tear rolled down Regulus's cheek. His voice quivered, "I'm so sorry" and he let out a sob.

Joanna stepped forward and embraced him. She looked expectantly at Sirius and he gave in.

Sirius ended the moment, "We should go."

"Of course, I'll make up something for our cousin," Regulus tried to play it off cool.

"Will you be alright?" Sirius showed concern for his little brother.

Regulus answered, "Yes. You should go now."