Chapter 43 - Good thing

Joanna walked into the Order, slightly out of breath but satisfied after a successful mission. She and Kate were able to identify more Death Eaters and prevent an attack on a small town outside of London a few days after New Years'. Her contentment was fleeting when she noticed the dullness in the room filled with her family.

Kate questioned, "Why so glum? You all look like that time we lost the quidditch cup to Slytherin in the last five minutes."

Jo grinned, "They do. You guys were so miserable that week. James and Sirius were unbearable then, right?"

"Right, Jojo... But it's not about that, unfortunately," James kindly answered.

Taken aback by his lack of countering, Jo asked, "Well what's it about? Don't beat around the bush."

Lily spoke up, "Well you know I'm not participating in actual missions anymore to stay safe--"

"To keep you and the baby safe," James interjected, placing his hand on Lily's flat stomach as Jo and Kate nodded their heads.

Lily continued, "So Professor Dumbledore came to talk to us today... regarding our activity in the Order."

Kate inquired, "Activity in the Order, what's that supposed to mean?"

"Dumbledore advised us to lay low. He says Lily and the baby can be in danger so it's best to no longer be active members of the Order."

"So you guys can't be here?" Kate continued asking.

James responded, "Neither Lils nor I can come anymore. Dumbledore will keep us posted on any important information."

"That seems reasonable, we wouldn't want the little bean -- or Lily -- to get hurt," Jo observed, "But I don't see why you all look like it's the end of the world. Am I missing something?"

Sirius stood up from his seat on the armrest next to James and held Joanna's hands in his before revealing, "If they have to lay low with the Order, they have to lay low with us as well."

Kate interrupted, "Wait. So you guys have to hide now? Like you're criminals? Like you're the ones killing people?"

"I'm afraid so, Katie," James let slip.

"You-You're being serious, aren't you?" she persisted.

The couple nodded their heads in response.

"This. This is ridiculous. Why would you have to hide from us?" Jo asked, but already knew the answer.

Her mind flashed back to when she got taken away. Blindfolded. Tied together. They had wanted information from her. About Sirius and Dumbledore, and who knows what else. She wanted her mind to draw a blank. To throw out everything she'd ever learned. Every good memory that could be used against her. Every feeling that coursed through her.

Lily elaborated, "We can still see each other, just not as often as we normally do. And we have to be more careful about it. People are starting to get followed."

Peter mumbled, "Oh I don't think it's such a big deal. They probably say that for attention."

Sirius rebuked, "It's still a concerning issue, Wormtail. Would you like having a bloke know your every move so they can catch you when you least suspect it?"

"Not really," Peter whispered.

"I think we should all follow Dumbledore's instructions considering he is the most experienced in this, followed by Mad-Eye," Remus noted.

"So the matter is settled. You guys get to go on holiday while the rest of us bust our arses off." Kate joked, but Marlene was quick to elbow her.

"We didn't want to do this. Any of it. But we can't put the baby and Lils at risk," James clarified.

Marlene questioned, "So how will we know when we can meet with you and when we can't?"

"Once we get the all-clear from Dumbledore, we'd have to ask him for clearance every time one of you wants to visit," Lily claimed.

A while later, everyone began filing out of the room. After a very long embrace and goodbye, Jo was still reeling from the news. She was trying to wrap her head around her brother and sister laying low, being watched, and unable to do anything. It's for the baby. It's to keep them safe. So that they don't die like Regulus or Mum or Dad. This is a good thing. This is a good thing. This is a good thing.

A/N: It's just one thing after the other for the Potters, isn't it? I don't want to bore you all with too many fillers, but we'll have some pleasant moments soon. Xx lovelies.