Chapter 22 - Mother

Regulus gripped the locket in his trembling hand. Fear was out of the question once the other Black and the house-elf stepped into the dark cave, but Regulus was determined to do it.

As soon as he got out his pocket knife, Kreacher reached out to him, "Master Regulus does not have to do that, Kreacher will do it for him."

Before Regulus could oppose, the elf proceeded to cut his hand and let the blood drip on the platform of the entrance. Locks and hinges were heard, all loosening as the blood sacrifice was made.

Regulus took a deep breath before stepping inside and Kreacher went on to summon a small boat. He could barely fit inside it but comfort - or the lack of it - wasn't his biggest problem at the moment. His visibility was poor as darkness engulfed them completely.

Regulus took out his wand, "Lumos." It barely had an effect on his sight, but he could make out the outline of an island drawing near them.

"Is that where..." but he was too frightened to finish.

Kreacher answered, "The locket is there, Master Regulus."

He carefully stepped out of the vessel, trying to ignore the Inferi just below the surface on his way to the top of the mound. His eyes landed on a pale basin filled with a clear liquid. His breath hitched in his throat as he spotted the fragment of the Dark Lord's soul. He stopped for a moment after remembering who was there with him.

Regulus instructed, "Kreacher, whatever happens here you must never speak of it to anyone. Not even my parents, do you understand?"

"...Yes, Master Regulus," the elf hesitantly obeyed.

Regulus commanded, "And-And if I am unable to drink this on my own, you will shove it down my throat if you have to Kreacher. When I get the Horcrux you have to take it with you and destroy it. "

Kreacher voiced confusion, "Master Regulus can leave with my help. Master Regulus can destroy it himself."

Regulus simply stared at his confidant with pity; a pang of remorse hit him knowing who he would leave behind. He dismissed the thoughts from his head and began to drink the liquid in the basin. A burning sensation made its way from his throat to the rest of his body. It seemed that with every sip of the potion, the irritation got worse. Then Regulus saw his mother. Walburga Black was screaming at Sirius as she used her wand to whip him.

She bellowed, "This is what you get for being an unruly boy!"

Sirius did not say a word but tears were streaming down his sunken face.

Mrs. Black continued, "I have told you to behave and be more like your cousins but you never listen!"

"Stop! Please, mother, stop it!" Regulus cried out. But the apparition of his mother did not hear him.

"You ungrateful child," Walburga uttered before slapping Sirius across the face.

Even though he saw Sirius get hurt, Regulus felt the pain that came with every whip and every slap his mother inflicted.

Regulus whined, "Mother stop! Please!"

Kreacher reluctantly forced his master to continue drinking but did not dare look at Regulus writhing in pain and shouting into the void.

Kreacher meekly spoke, "Master Regulus is almost done."

"Kreacher please," he begged but obligingly swallowed.

His hands clutched onto the side of the basin and his shoulders were shaking violently as he tried to erase that horrible memory of his family. He shouted in frustration and pain but his echo reflected the continuous burn that did not stop.

Kreacher pried the counterfeit locket from his hands and dropped it into the empty basin to replace the original.

Regulus felt his throat dry and his tongue was sandpaper rubbing against his gums. As Kreacher safely placed the real Horcrux in his pocket, Regulus started to walk towards the edge of the island. His foot slipped on the uneven terrain and he touched the water. Suddenly, a pair of bony hands seized his ankle, tugging him into the lake.

Reg tripped, unable to free himself from the Inferi's grasp and Kreacher tried to pull him closer to the center. Hollow-looking figures began to emerge grabbing onto both of his feet; Kreacher was no use as his master continued to get dragged.

Regulus managed a couple of words, "Kreacher, don't tell anyone."

Kreacher meekly responded, "Kreacher won't tell anyone, Master Regulus."

Regulus struggled to maintain his grip on the ledge, trying to keep his head above the water and fighting off the dead bodies.

"Thank you, Kreacher," were his final words.

Kreacher was now sobbing, "Master Regulus can't leave. Master Regulus must come back."

Regulus resurfaced one last time before he became another one of the dead. 

"I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more."

A/N: So it finally happened... A difficult one to write but more drama and excitement ahead! Xx lovelies! Ooh and do not worry, you'll still get some more Reg moments ahead!