Chapter 26 - Followers

The minute Jo apparated to the poorly-illuminated, lonesome street with her brother she got a bad feeling in her gut. It was the same feeling she got when she noticed Regulus tried not to look her in the eyes right before he captured her, or when she felt the bludger hit her chest making her fall off her broom in the fifth year. The pit in her stomach got heavier the longer her and James walked around trying to find any signs of life on the deserted road. It was eerily quiet and strange to not see any muggles walking around.

Promptly, the hairs on the back of her neck stood up and Jo whispered, "Stop," as she grabbed James' arm.

"You feel it too?" he softly asked.

Not wanting to raise suspicion, she simply nodded her head and beckoned him to continue walking slowly, "I think we're being watched."

Still confused he questioned, "You think they already know we're here?"

"Mhm," she responded.

They decided to take a left turn into another winding street when five figures seemingly emerged from the shadows. James and Jo decided to pick up their pace as they realized they were outnumbered and underprepared for their task.

James grasped onto his sister's arm to get her behind a corner wall in a dark alley; their followers were still a few meters behind.

With no other plan, James advised, "Be careful, alright?"

"You too," Jo stated.

They peered over their only form of protection before shouting as many spells as they could.

Jo yelled out, "Expelliarmus!"

"Stupefy!" James called out successfully hitting one of the bad guys.

Noting they needed backup, Jo cast, "Periculum!"

They used the wall to hide from the much deadlier spells the Death Eaters began casting at them.

A hoarse tone screamed at them, "Crucio!"

Quickly thinking of spells to stop her opponent, Jo uttered, "Petrificus totalus!"

'Great, two down and three more to go...' she thought.

"Rictumsempra!" James bellowed at one of the cloaked people.

"Really?" Jo glared at her brother because he tried to cast a tickling charm.

Before they could look back to continue defending themselves, a shrill voice declared, "Bombarda Maxima!"

The Potter siblings were blasted several meters back along with large chunks of stone from the building. All Joanna could hear was a faint ringing from her right ear as she tried to turn her head over to find her brother. A shot of pain flared in her neck and she winced from underneath the rubble. She was able to sense some fighting still going on, though she could not make out between who. Finding it hard to breathe in the dusty air, Jo entered a state of panic.

All of a sudden, she began to cough as a large weight was lifted off her torso. She didn't have time to register what was going on before getting the wind knocked out of her and blacking out.