Chapter 62 - Bluff

Tingling, her hands were tingling. Since it felt like a thousand little arrows were piercing through her skin, her fingers couldn't stay in one place for too long. Her hands ran through her hair and then found refuge in her pockets. They moved along to pick at her nails and rest at her hips and play on the wooden table. The ferocious tapping against the brown surface was the only sound heard in the ravaged apothecary from the quaint wizarding town outside of Leeds.

"Ministry's caught one or two of 'em so they've left in haste. We have a bit of time to see anything important left behind before they come back to officially clean up," Moody grumbled.

Peter spoke up, "W-what do you mean if... if anything 'important' was... l-left behind?"

Jo blew her hair out of her face, not wanting to look at the lifeless figure lying on the floor near the entrance.

"Anything that could be of use to them. We don't know what, but Death Eaters were looking for something valuable."

The balls of her feet bounced up as she started to walk out of the shop, "Alright, I'll start looking. Pete, you can go the opposite street."

"That's what I like to hear, Potter. Already in action. Let me know if you two find anything. I'll be looking around too," and with that Moody was already shuffling off to the back part of the apothecary.

The bell rang as Jo opened the door, and headed off to work.

She diverted her line of sight from the floor. Moody did warn them this visit would be gruesome. That was an understatement.

Patel's Mystical Robes and Cloaks still glistened under the setting sun when Jo entered. No bodies were found which meant they were able to escape. At least, she hoped they did.

Nothing of interest was found except for sparkling navy robes and embroidered black cloaks scattered about. Soon enough, scavengers would come and claim them as their own. Poor Patel, Jo sighed.

Her eyes wandered to a darkened alley. She walked closer to the faint glow in the back.

"Blimey, they couldn't place a light here?" She muttered under her breath. Her wand's gleam was futile in helping her visibility.

Jo squinted her eyes as she made out a glass sphere. Squatting uncomfortably, Jo hovered the tip of her wand and rolled her eyes when realizing the gold edges of a Remembrall. Before standing up the light in her wand illuminated a hand mere centimeters from the magical ball. Jo stumbled backward as she noticed the rest of the body in front of her. Her brother's face was staring back at her. Cracked glasses and a bloody mouth were enough to make her shriek.

"What the hell's going on? Potter, what did you see?" Moody appeared almost immediately.

The little arrows made their reappearance on her now-dirty hands. No words escaped her mouth. Instead, her trembling finger pointed at James. Dead James.

Moody inspected the limp person, allowing the witch to see his face again. Except, this time she was staring at a stranger.

The older wizard ushered them outside the alley, "I told you it would be gruesome. And this isn't your first mission, either."

Peter hurriedly made his way toward them, "What-Who screamed? Jo?"

But she wasn't listening to any of them. She had stopped listening when her brother... No, it wasn't him, she reminded herself.

"Speak up, you're mumbling," Moody snapped as he checked his watch.

She whispered, "I'm sorry. Something must've come over me. I-I haven't found anything."