Chapter 59 - Sirens

"What do you mean you're hiding?" Remus heard Peter question beside him on the couch. Sirius and Joanna had asked for everyone to meet at the flat after work at the Order. Everyone including James and Lily. Sirens were blaring in his mind when he saw the wrapped gifts on the table. Christmas wasn't for another two months.

"Harry is involved with You Know Who's downfall. That's all we know. But it's enough to know we need to keep him as safe as possible," James stated.

Kate and Marlene listened with their mouths slightly ajar. Remus spoke up, "So you two are the only ones who know where they'll be staying?" His finger wiggled between Jo and Sirius.

Sirius nodded, "We will be Secret Keepers. That way no one will ever be able to find out where my mate's living." Remus felt shivers down his spine when Sirius looked back at him. His steely eyes tore right through his core. When had he started staring at him like that? Remus patted down his hair — perhaps he had a flyaway.

Jo cleared her throat, "Not that we think any of you would disclose that information —"

Sirius interrupted, "I certainly wouldn't. Because James is my brother. And Lily is my best friend. And Harry is the best thing that's ever happened to all of us in a while." He motioned toward the cot beside Lily and James.

Remus noted how Jo elbowed Sirius as Lily finally voiced, "We don't know what's going to happen after. So this is the last time we'll be seeing each other for now. I'm sure things will get better soon and Dumbledore will allow you to visit. But—" Lily couldn't finish because Marlene and Kate proceeded to bear hug her -- once Kate carefully laid Harry in his cot. Remus wished he could laugh at that instant. He wished Kate had done that because of some good news. He wished the meeting was about them all taking Harry to his first quidditch match, or organizing Sirius's birthday party. Anything that wouldn't mean he couldn't see his friends again.

Jo had told him what happened with Regulus. He had lashed out at her in the courtyard in front of everyone. She was hurt, to say the least.

"I don't know what's gotten into him, Rem. This was so out of the blue," she exhaled, sinking into the burgundy velvet loveseat near the fireplace.

He shook his head, "I'm sure he'll realize it's some sort of misunderstanding. He probably thought--"

"What's so bad that he would think the worst of me? Besides, I don't patrol who he hangs out with when I'm not around."

Why would Reg confront Jo like that? She was his friend. Sure, she was with Sirius now. Naturally, he hoped his mate wouldn't mess it up, but what could make Regulus get so bothered? The blood drained from his face in an instant. Did Regulus like... No, it couldn't be. They had been friends for a while, he couldn't possibly like her. But there were probably other girls. Pretty girls who Walburga and Orion Black would approve of. Remus stood up from his spot on the couch. He needed some fresh air.

Perhaps he should have gone to his room to shout into his pillow, but he didn't want to face Jo again. Why did this have to happen to him? He didn't like feeling that way. The Blacks are blood purists. He had dramatized every interaction in his head. Nothing was what it seemed. His internal muddle was no longer so loud, though, because Remus suddenly heard thuds from the broom closet. Retracing a few steps he stood outside for a split second, not really wanting to eavesdrop, but also preferring any momentary distraction from his own frustration. He could overhear someone mumbling, "I'm so stupid. Sirius is going to kill me! I shouldn't have--"

Before he could think twice about it, Remus swung the wooden door wide open. Regulus seemed to be banging his head on the wall. He looked like a kitchen elf after accidentally dropping some chocolate pudding on the floor.