Chapter 24 - Feelings

"I think you're ready for the exam next week. If you keep it up, you're only going to start mixing up all the ingredients..." Joanna eagerly assured.

A nervous Regulus questioned, "You're sure? I think I could look over that last potion before we--"

Joanna interrupted his worried thoughts, "I have full faith in you, Reg. You will pass this exam. I honestly don't know why you're stressing so much."

"Mother sent me a letter yesterday saying I have to keep up the good marks in all my classes. You know I can't afford to mess up, Jo," he confessed.

Joanna boldly justified, "You can tell your stuck-up mother I think you're going to pass. You don't have to worry about it and besides, Slughorn loves you!"

"Not as much as you, you're practically his favorite - he doesn't even try to hide it!" Regulus countered.

"Oh please, he just loves that I am not my brother," she modestly answered.

"Go ahead and say that at our next Slug Club meeting, " Regulus joked in an attempt to get her to admit it.

Giving up she replied, "Ugh fine. But do not mention that at the meeting!"

"I won't as long as you don't call my mother stuck-up to her face," he laughed.

Jo shook her head, "I don't think I'd be up to meet someone as formidable as the Walburga Black. My dad can't even say that name without flinching a little!"

He cringed, "Blimey, is it really that bad?"

"I should be asking you that! From what you and Sirius tell me she's absolutely dreadful," Jo said.

Regulus whispered, "Well, um, she never did like Sirius much especially after he came here."

"What, you mean after he got sorted into Gryffindor? I was certain she loved him a thousand times more," Joanna tried to keep the mood light.

"I guess my parents always held these high expectations and standards of him being the perfect son and he turned out to be the exact opposite," he revealed.

A concerned look spread across her face, "What do you think?"

"About what?" he curiously voiced.

"About being the perfect son," she responded.

He acknowledged, "I guess they see me as the better son, but now all those responsibilities fall on me. It can be a bit tiring sometimes."

Remembering how her parents raised her, Jo asked, "You shouldn't be so overwhelmed with all that pressure. How can they expect you to do well if you're so stressed about everything?"

"I don't know, I just do what they tell me," he vaguely retorted.

The large oak doors of the library suddenly opened to reveal Remus almost dragging his bag full of textbooks and a scurrying Peter shadowing him.

Regulus shifted uncomfortably in his seat at the sight of his brother's best friends and decided to pack his bag.

He quickly mumbled, "Er I should go now. Thanks again, Jo."

"Wait, Reg--" was all Jo could say.

But he was already halfway through the door.

Jo shook the memory away as she worriedly tried to discern Sirius' expression. They had just gotten back from a small Order mission when Mad-Eye took them aside from the rest of the group to inform them that Orion Black was dead and Regulus was presumed to be dead.