Chapter 27 - Constant Vigilance

Sirius' indignant voice arose, "How could they have known we were going on that mission in the first place?"

"I have no bloody clue," Kate admitted.

"Stuff like that doesn't just happen by chance, you know," he pointed out.

Curious, Kate asked about his insinuation, "What are you suggesting?"

Sirius started before noticing the no-longer-sleeping person in the room, "I'm saying-- Thank Merlin! Jo, you're awake!"

"Wh-What happened?" She stated. Her forehead throbbing as her eyes adjusted to the brightness of the room.

Sirius' concern was plastered all over his face, "You and James were attacked by Death Eaters."

The events that occurred hours before were slowly coming back to her, "Uhh, right. How is he?"

"He woke up just an hour ago. He's downstairs getting something to eat right now," Kate responded.

"Even after almost getting killed, he still has an appetite," Jo remarked.

Sirius added, "Well that's never going to change."

Kate shook her head, "Poor Lils."

Jo giggled but stopped and clutched her sides where her ribs hurt.

Sirius noted, "You two were hurt pretty badly in that explosion so it may take a bit to heal completely even with all the mending charms and healing ointments."

"Wouldn't be the first time I've heard that one," Jo said bitterly.

Kate tried to ease the tension, "Er you should feel better soon, though. And we were able to get those bloody blokes apprehended!"

"Thanks. I should go down-- Aahh!" Jo claimed as she attempted to stand up - unsuccessfully.

Sirius went over to the side of her bed, "Slow down there, love. We can help you up."

Through clenched teeth, Jo mentioned, "They knew we were there the moment we got there."

Her first question still unanswered, Kate echoed her curiosity again, "But how? It's not like you waved a big red flag to warn them."

"Did you guys also get 'ambushed'?" Jo asked.

Sirius answered, "Think so, but we weren't outnumbered like you and James. Marlene and Lily were able to throw one of them off their tracks and Remus and Peter didn't even have one following them."

"Sirius and I were able to stun our bloke and then we just wiped his memory and sent him to the Ministry," Kate smugly replied.

Sirius' sympathetic tone emerged, "Seems like you and James were the ones that got the brunt of it."

Not wanting to dwell on her failed mission, Jo questioned, "So who was able to see my signal?"

"Remus and Peter were just a few blocks away when they saw the flare and heard the explosion so they got the remaining Death Eaters," he responded.

"We were all worried sick when we saw them carrying both of you in that state," Kate let out and chuckled before revealing, "Mad-Eye had a fit. Couldn't stop talking about constant vigilance and whatnot."

Jo tried to put on a more positive attitude, "Well now I certainly feel better knowing I was able to miss one of those lectures."

Sirius leaned in to kiss her forehead before whispering, "I'm glad you're alright."

"Ok no more sappiness please or else I may need the rubbish bin to throw up," Kate declared from the corner of the room.

Sirius rhetorically asked, "You're a big hypocrite, you know that, Kate?"

"Blimey, no need to take your fangs out, Sirius!" Kate proudly made use of the common puns for Padfoot.

After a few seconds of silence, they all burst into laughter and Jo didn't care if it hurt at all.

A/N: Hmm I wonder what (or rather, who) Sirius was getting at about their failed Order mission...