Chapter 29 - Capable

Remus couldn't help but feel a little lonely when he was surrounded by a room full of all of his friends. The problem wasn't that he had friends, but rather, that they had each other. Every one of them had gradually been pairing up starting with Kate and Marlene during the middle of his sixth year. At first, he was happy about seeing two of his most outspoken and sassiest friends together, but then two became four and then six, and eventually, it left him (and Peter) alone.

Remus didn't mind not having someone to share his bed with. He would admit that he was probably not the best sleeping partner in the first place considering he was an insomniac and when he wasn't he did snore rather loud...

James would tease every so often, "You could be the house mascot with the way you roar at night, mate!"

But Remus did feel left out from the group especially after the Potter-Evans wedding. He tried to reach out to a couple of people - old classmates from Hogwarts, family friends - but he never really clicked with any one of them.

He resorted to his trusty companions: books, chocolate, and Peter, to get through days when everyone else had other plans. But even Peter seemed to be busy nowadays.

After the news of Regulus and Orion's deaths had settled down, Remus was ready for a change in scenery. He wanted to feel productive. In a very coincidental manner, once he completed a routine surveillance mission for the Order, he was greeted by Dumbledore and Mad-Eye.

The mangled-up auror began, "We've got top-secret information, highly-confidential stuff, you think we can trust you with this?"

Remus shyly answered while he fidgeted with a loose thread on his sleeve, "Yes, sir. At least, I hope I can be of use to you."

After his magical eye surveyed the werewolf up and down, Moody continued, "Alright Lupin, we seem to be getting word that Voldemort is starting to recruit magical creatures into his 'army'."

"What do I have to do with this?" Remus questioned, playing it safe.

That's when Dumbledore spoke up, "Well, Mr. Lupin we think you are quite capable of getting these people - with your similar condition - to choose the right side in this war. You see, they will be more drawn to you than our other members because you serve as an example of what they can become: brave and hard-working wizards."

Moony was at a momentary loss for words. He was shocked by what the old wizards thought of him and his persuasive abilities and then he also remembered what he'd been wanting for a while since James and Lily got married. Without thinking about it too much, he eagerly answered, "So. Where do you want me to go first?"