Chapter 33 - Harness

The day after her parents' memorial service, Jo stayed in bed well past noon. She had not moved an inch from where she was positioned - facing the wall that was laden with Holyhead Harpies and Queen posters. But her eyes were not focused on the moving images, they were drifting off to someplace else.

She could feel the breeze of the residual winter air on her skin as she made her way across the courtyard to see Regulus. The bright smile plastered across her face contrasted with Reg's grim expression.

"What's up? Did Slughorn harass you into going to another meeting?" She poked his ribs jokingly.

"It's not Slughorn." he monotonically replied, backing away.

She faked exasperation, "Come on, then what is it, Black?"

"And you act like you don't know like you're so innocent now," he bitterly chuckled.

Truly confused, she spoke, "What the hell are you talking about? Please fill me in on your current mood swing."

He rebuked, "Well why don't you fill me in on what's been going on with you and my brother?"

She wanted to avoid talking about the subject with him, "I don't see how that should matter."

"I confided in you, Joanna, and you go off for an easy shag with the school's resident slut who just so happens to be my favorite brother," he snapped with sarcasm.

Mildly irritated, she hissed, "I did not go off for an easy shag with Sirius."

He countered, "Oh and you expect me to believe that with his reputation?"

"And what about my own word and judgment? Do you not trust those?" she asked, slightly hurt he wouldn't believe his actual friend.

"I'd say they're a bit blinded by some idiotic schoolgirl fantasy," he snarled with disgust.

Definitely annoyed at his reproachful behavior, she groaned, "I don't have to tell you my reasons for being with anyone, Regulus. Why are you so bloody wound up about it?"

"Because he's a traitor, and now so are you. I take back what I said, you're perfect for each other, don't even know why I agreed to meet up with you in the first place" he sniggered before already making his way out of the courtyard.

The air was no longer a pleasant companion, either. Jo suddenly got goosebumps on her skin as she felt the cold wind whipping at her hair and exposed limbs. She had given Sirius his sweater back for his History of Magic exam, but she regretted that currently.

Jo raced after Regulus and grabbed his arm, "I did not do anything to you - other than being your friend and tutor, might I add. Frankly, I don't see how my shagging preferences affect our friendship." Regulus chuckled at her remark.

"On the other hand, you. I've turned a blind eye on a lot of things, Regulus, like how your buddy Wilkes called Mary a mudblood the other day," she whispered the last part.

Regulus's face went white at the mention of his housemate.

"He's not my buddy," he dryly responded.

She reasoned, "You hang out with him often enough."

"You're acting as if I was the one who said it," he hinted.

She continued, "Just as good as if you didn't do anything to stop him."

"What if she deserved it?" he questioned.

Indignant, she stuttered, "A-Are.. are you really trying to justify this?"

"She was practically asking for it. Snogging all of us left and right," he explained.