Chapter 34 - Stubborn

Kate carefully closed the door behind her, "She won't listen to me either, and I tried everything."

"She just blankly stares at you?" Sirius questioned, already knowing the answer.

Kate nodded her head in dismay.

"I think we need to be patient and give her time," Remus reiterated.

Kate agreed, "Okay, but she still has to eat something."

"I'll give it another go," Sirius hesitantly replied.

As Sirius walked to the room he could hear Kate ask Remus, "Does James know?"

Moony replied in hushed tones, "No, didn't want to worry him with this too."

He slowly opened the door to find his girlfriend in a nearly catatonic state if it were not for her unintelligible murmurs.

"Good Godric," Sirius croaked as he took the armchair next to the bed.

"Well, there's no doubt you're in Gryffindor. Bloody stubborn, you are," Sirius quipped.

"You remember when we were hiding from James? You didn't want to tell him we were together because you were afraid he'd go ballistic. I mean he did end up going ballistic, but... You were so stubborn then. Didn't want to tell anyone, you set up a schedule for us to meet secretly in the room of requirement," he chuckled as memories of his seventh year at school resurfaced in his mind.

He continued, "And even when I told you I was afraid of actually committing when I was trying to give you an easy escape, you were so stubborn you stayed. You gave James a piece of your mind when he finally caught us sneaking into the common room. Merlin, I don't think I've ever seen him so pale, he was as white as a ghost! Hell, I was as white as a ghost seeing you like that!"

He rubbed his temples in frustration.

"Look at me Jo, please," he begged, desperate enough to kneel beside her on the floor and caress her hair until she eventually made eye contact with him.

"I know you're hurting. You've been through so much in such a short span of time. Let me take away some of the pain. Talk to me, don't talk to me, cry - or don't. But please don't let yourself waste away like this," he implored as a single tear rolled down his face.

He tried to lighten the mood, "You can't resist not having this for long, Potter. I'll make sure of it," he motioned toward his face as he put up a reassuring smile and wiped away his tear.

As he sat back on the chair, her eyes were no longer as dull and cold. He noticed a trace of their usual glint and hoped he was right.