Chapter 35 - Nervous

The hours passed quickly when Sirius fell asleep on the chair. After pulling three all-nighters, he was so burnt out it was easy to doze off.

Joanna awoke when she heard his snoring. Sirius never snored. And then she noticed the bags under his eyes and the ash on his jacket. She'd made him nervous - and not in a good way.

Her heart began to beat rapidly when she realized what had happened. And she also felt her sheets moist. Had she really peed herself in bed? She didn't want to embarrass herself further as she stood up with difficulty, attempting to remain quiet around the roaring lion beside her. She grabbed her wand from the nightstand and recited a cleaning charm under her breath but was unable to stand still for long before reaching out for the bedpost. The room seemed to be spinning and her head was throbbing. That's when her stomach grumbled, perhaps louder than the snoring.

Sirius jolted awake out of the couch and onto the bed until he realized it was empty. He looked for the rather ashamed origin of the noise. Jo's nose scrunched up in a wince at having been unsuccessful with her plan to go unnoticed.

She whispered, surprised to find her throat extremely dry, "I'm really sorry, didn't mean to wake you."

"Why wouldn't you?" He questioned, still alarmed by the events.

She mentioned, "You looked so peaceful - and like you needed it."

"You've barely woken up and you're already hurling insults at me," he observed, rolling his eyes.

"I was not..." she meekly defended.

He desperately went in for a hug, truly needing to take all of her in before the noise arose again. She missed him too (and needed something to eat).

"Ok James, we've got leftovers waiting in the kitchen..." Sirius teased as he guided them out of the room.

A silent meal ensued the pair once Remus and Kate left after seeing Joanna awake with their own eyes.

Jo felt a pang of guilt and shame gnaw the insides of her stomach as she finished what was left on her plate.

"I... I don't know what happened," she softly spoke.

Sirius joked, "You ate all the roast. You were hungry, that's what happened!"

She smiled quickly before dismissing his avoidance of the subject, "I mean, what happened earlier. I don't remember how I--"

He interrupted, "You don't need to justify yourself to me, love. Unless you want to talk about it."
"Umm... I... I can't believe they're gone, Sirius," she silently stated.

"Me neither," he replied, hoping his face did not show all the anguish he felt inside.

"It's not fair," she expressed.

He responded, "Nothing in life is, but you have to learn to live with it, roll with the punches."

"James must be devastated," she worried.

Sirius reasoned, "We'll all get through it. And... in a few months, he's going to have a freaking baby."

"I can't imagine another James walking around the house," she lightly giggled.

He reached over the table for her hand and smiled, "What if it's like you, huh? Absolutely terrible with all that cheek."

She laughed at his remark and stood up from her seat to playfully elbow him in response.

"I take it back, Elvendork will be a wonderful person. They'll end up just like Lily," Sirius chortled.

Jo shook her head, "Bloody Elvendork, I swear if you somehow convince Lily to name that baby--"

Sirius absent-mindedly interjected, "And if they don't we will."

A surprised Jo asked, "What?"

"I... I was joking... I meant if we... you-see-in-the-future-if-you-ever-keep-up-with-

me-for-that-long-and-we-have-a-child-only-if-you-want-to-of-course-the-joke-was-that-we-could-name-it-Elvendork-but-you-know-it's-only-a-joke-I-didn't-mean-it-at-all-it-just-sort-of-slipped-out-of-my-mouth-because-I'm-stupid-but-you-already-know-that-so-it's-nothing-new... Umm anyway, want some pie? Kate said Marlene baked it with all her love and affection and all that crap," Sirius rambled.

"You really think so?" she questioned again.

Thinking about the pies, Sirius commented, "I mean, I don't think she literally put a love potion in it, it's more metaphorical, you see--"

She clarified, "I mean, about the future. You've thought about it before?"

"I suppose, you know, the way everyone does. Like ten years from now where will you be?" He tried to play it cool, but his flustered responses were proving otherwise.

"And you see me in it?" she continued interrogating, her heart was performing gymnastics in her chest.

"Is now a good time for a joke?" Sirius queried, but Jo shook her head.

"Of course you're in it. But-if-you-don't-want-children-that-is-completely-understandable-I-totally-get-it-I'd-probably-hate-raising-a-little-me-too-and-childbirth-seems-really-hard-and-Lily-is-really-in-for-it-isn't-she?" He breathed out.

She answered, "Umm I guess."

Timidly he mirrored her thoughts, "So... do you think about..."

"Yes." she paused before continuing, "I don't think I've gone as far as naming our hypothetical future children Elvendork, but you're in it too."

"That's a relief, how'd you reckon we'd be like later?" he sighed heavily.

Jo bantered, "Well I was thinking of keeping you as a friend type thing..."

"Ha, and what, you run away with Slughorn?" Sirius teased.

She ran along with their inside joke, "Horace and I would live happily in Ottery St. Catchpole next to Remus and his family."

He groaned, "Do not elaborate, I beg you. It seems you've put a lot of thought into it."

Jo looked dreamily at Sirius, "Ever since first-year Potions."

Sirius responded, "I'm glad I wasn't in that class then, sounds disgusting."

"You're just jealous," Jo resolved.

"I am deeply offended. Slughorn has got nothing but his creepy collection of star students," he argued.

She chided, "Sounds like you are jealous."

"Oh please, I am nothing of the sort," he pretended to be unbothered.

She asked, "Really?"

"Really," he replied.

Their noses were practically touching since they were face-to-face in a pseudo-staring match. After a few seconds of staring into her brown eyes, he went in to kiss her. She matched his energy and got into the whole affair. He began to nip at her neck right as she let out a small moan.

He smirked as he stood up from the table and began collecting the dishes, "I'm still jealous?"

She declared, "That was rude, Black."

"Come again?" He quipped from the other side of the counter.

"You're such a tease," she noted.

He proclaimed, "Only the best and at your service, Potter."