Chapter 36 - Not helping

Remus stood in the peacefully quiet living room staring out through the sliding glass doors. He had gotten used to being on high alert, not sleeping (more than usual), and constantly coming up with escape plans if things were to go awry. He desperately wanted to prove to Dumbledore he was up to the task and tried to recruit as many people as he could, whether they be werewolves or simply secluded wizards.

He would hear rumors of Death Eater raids and attacks, of Voldemort targeting high profile wizards and witches, and of his army growing in number. The latter made his heart race.

On one of the less turbulent nights, Remus sat in the corner of a pub and reluctantly overheard a pair of drunk wizards discussing Voldemort rather loudly.

"Like bloody last time with Grindelwald, you reckon?"

"Aye, but word is he's even stronger... Got nothing on Grindelwald."

"At least Dumbledore has no soft spot for him this time."

"But the Ministry is a bloody useless lot!"

"Bagnold and Crouch are the only blokes doing any work."

"Eh, Crouch never sat right with me. Wouldn't be surprised if he..."

Remus had heard enough by then and decided to leave before hearing anything more, but he was still left with an ever-growing pit in his stomach.

Now in the living room, he stood replaying that conversation. It was like his own game of self-inflicted torture. He was unfazed by the burning sensation around his palms; his tea remained untouched.

Suddenly, Sirius's face came into view, "Moony, you coming?"

"Where?" he questioned.

Jo replied, "Hogsmeade, it's another attack."

Without another word, Remus, Sirius, and Joanna disapparated to the beloved little village outside of Hogwarts.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Remus heard Sirius ask Jo.

"I can't sit around all day while this is happening, Sirius," she answered.

Their discussion was cut short by an ear-splitting scream nearby. They all shared a knowing glance and carefully made their way to the origin of the noise. Two hooded figures were molesting a pair of shop owners.

"Stupefy," Remus shouted.

Jo cast, "Expelliarmus!"

A nasal voice yelled, "Crucio!"

Sirius cast the shield charm around them since there was nowhere to hide anymore. Remus noticed the merchants had already scurried away.

"Sectumsempra," the disguised figure used before his hood fell, revealing his face.

They all jumped to the side, narrowly avoiding the spell.

"If it isn't smelly Snivellus..." Sirius chuckled.

Remus tried to take advantage of the brief distraction Sirius created, "Expelliarmus!" however, Snape already performed a non-verbal defensive spell.

"You filthy lot of blood traitors are still up to your infantile tauntings I see," Snape growled.

Jo decided to try some non-verbal magic of her own, but Snape was too quick, "Bombarda!"

Remus ducked under a turned-over table for cover. Shortly after, a spew of green and red lights began to fire back and forth until another set of sparks came from the front of the shop.