Chapter 15 - Mr. and Mrs. P

Euphemia Potter's affectionate hug and the scent of freshly baked pumpkin pasties engulfed Remus the minute he crossed the threshold of his friends' home.

Always one for company, she welcomed James and Joanna's friends at all times. Even Sirius was taken under the Potters' wing - if under poor circumstances.

The Potter home had always been a comforting place to be, but Remus felt nervous. He could see it in Peter and Kate's eyes that they were too. He didn't have to glance at the others to know they were anxious for how the rest of the evening would play out, especially with Joanna.

Fleamont Potter decided to let his wife suffocate everyone with hugs and kisses at the entrance before stepping in to greet his children and their friends. His firm but good-natured manner was something everyone was drawn to.

"Remus, my boy! How are you?" voiced Fleamont.

Very politely Remus answered, "As good as I can be, sir. How about you?"

Fleamont's comedic tone filled the room, "I'm about to go crazy with this lady running all around the house getting everything ready!"

Everyone let out a laugh using the joke as an opportunity to let out their jitters. Joanna's laughter rose slightly above the rest, surely she felt like going crazy inside.

"Come on children, dinner will be served in a few minutes! James, please help your father finish setting the table," his mother commanded.

"But -" A stern look from Lily stopped James in his tracks to complain.

"Oh, Kate dear will Marlene be coming later? I wasn't sure if I should have an extra place setting," Euphemia inquired.

Kate perked up at the mention of her and her girlfriend's names, "No, Mrs. P. She's still off on her mission, but she sends her best new year wishes to the both of you."

Euphemia lamented, "How terrible, being away from home during the holidays!"

Kate replied, "You know how she is, strong-headed and willing to do anything for the Order."

"But that's why you like her, eh?" quipped Fleamont.

Kate giggled at Mr. Potter's banter.

During this time Joanna had gone to sit on the long brown couch in the living room with Lily while the Marauders talked among themselves as intently as they did in the Order meetings. She was glad not to be the subject of conversation at least currently. She had unconsciously been clenching the sleeves of her coat until Lily placed her hands atop hers.

Lily went on to considerately advise, "Don't stress about anything, just enjoy this occasion with your family, Jo."

Suddenly, Euphemia's voice resonated from the kitchen, "Girls, dinner's ready, come join us at the table!"

The elder Potters had been catching up with their children's friends throughout the holiday dinner.

Fleamont took on a concerned tone, "And how is your mother doing, Peter?"

"Um. She's slowly recuperating, sir," Peter's mousy voice responded.

Fleamont replied, "Well that's good to hear. It's not the same at our age..."

"Please dad you're still as sharp as a knife," James refuted.

Joanna chipped in, "And your hair remains legendary, dad."

Mr. Potter timidly laughed at his daughter's insinuation. His moment of fame as the maker of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion was always up for jokes with his son and daughter, but he never got used to it.

Dinner went smoothly or rather Joanna was able to get away with not talking as much as usual. But Kate had to leave early once again. And Peter did as well.

"No, Katie, why'd you have to go so fast?" asked Lily.

"I have a curfew now... Remember I was caught sneaking out to um.." But Kate did not finish her sentence.

Kate's parents had given her a new curfew since the summer holiday before going back to Hogwarts after they caught her leaving late at night to hang out with Marlene. Now during the winter break, they had not forgotten their daughter's punishment.

"Right. Sorry, I forgot" Lily lightly snickered.

"Er, Peter and I ought to go. Wouldn't want to be late. Thank you so much for everything Mr. and Mrs. P!" and in a blink, both had disapparated.

And then there were five. And five meant there was less room to hide for Joanna.

"Joanna dear, do you have everything prepared to go back to school? You didn't leave anything here, did you?" asked her father.

She fibbed, "Um, no dad I didn't leave anything, I already packed my trunk."

"Can't believe you and Kate will be graduating in just a few months! I'm so excited for you, dear!" Mrs. Potter exclaimed.

Fleamont remarked, "She's practically got her left foot out the door already, eh?"

A fake smile emerged on Joanna's lips. "Yes, dad."

Her mother's voice took a melancholic tone, "The house already feels empty without James wreaking havoc at every corner. Remember you are staying over this weekend before you go, dear."

"You can't leave us for the boys just yet Jojo," her father laughed at his own jest.

James tried defending himself, "Oi we take good care of her dad!"

"I'm sure Remus and Lily are the only ones who do all that for you," His father rebuked.

Remus decided to interject, "Sir, we all help each other out."

Fleamont's sarcasm had the women in tears, "I have no doubt my boys are the ones who help the most."

"I'd like to think we do," Sirius played along.

James took on a (falsely) disgusted tone, "Of course Sirius does. But the minute my sister comes along, everything goes out the window with his tail wagging around."

"Oh please James they're cute!" Lily replied.

James' complaining continued, "Maybe if she wasn't my sister and he wasn't my best mate I wouldn't find it so eye-gougingly awful."

The subjects in question had already turned five different shades of red while James smugly looked at them.

Sirius came back at James, "I don't see how that's any different than you and Lily, mate. Did you forget your entire time at Hogwarts you were pining over her?"

Running out of ideas James resorted to his other friend, "What do you think, Remus?"

"About what exactly?"

"Well, um... I don't even know what we're talking about anymore," James gave up.

Remus mumbled, "Kate and Marlene are always up on each other, I guess. Or that one time Peter was with that Hufflepuff in our fourth year."

"Oh Merlin, that was truly unbearable." Joanna reminisced.

James joined in, "Right? It was all Peanut this and Peanut that. He even skipped out on some full moons to go snog her!"

Lily spoke with slight amusement and disdain, "I don't think we need to remember that, James. But it was nice Peter had fun with someone."

Everyone grumbled in agreement. No one even noticed Euphemia and Fleamont had stepped out to get some tea in the kitchen, though they did not miss out on anything that was being exchanged...

Joanna gradually lost the feeling in the pit of her stomach and was beginning to feel at home again. It was as if nothing had happened because her parents did not know it did. She felt at ease knowing that in someone else's mind, she was still the same Joanna Elizabeth Potter. That they did not view her differently and that nothing had changed. She knew that it was temporary but she did her best to relish her fleeting break from reality.