Chapter 40 - Firewood and leather

When Joanna and Kate finished their survey mission and got back to headquarters the only people they found were the Prewetts and Frank Longbottom.

Kate began conversing, "How'd it go for you guys?"

Fabian answered, "Not bad, we injured a couple of those blokes. Thought we saw Crouch with the lot, but Moody says we shouldn't joke around about that -- you know how he is."

Kate was surprised, "Crouch. As in Barty Crouch, right-hand man to the Minister of Magic?"

Frank shook his head, "Not him. We mean Crouch Jr... His son. Anyway, if Mad-eye hears that again he'll have a fit, how was Barnton?"

"Dreadful, every single window shattered, the buildings blasted off. We could barely identify half of the shops on there since the signs were all broken or buried under everything," Kate spoke.

"Don't get your hopes down, Wolcott. McKinnon and Black were able to catch two of them," Fabian smirked.

"Sirius finished already?" Jo nonchalantly questioned.

"Yeah, a while ago, actually. He left with Lupin and Pettigrew, invited us over for a few drinks."

"Oh," Jo did her best not to sound hurt but her shoulders visibly shrunk.

Frank proposed, "We're going over to Diagon Alley right now, want to come with?"

"I appreciate it, but I'm not in the mood after this," Jo quietly responded.

Kate grabbed onto Jo's arm, "Same here, boys. I'll--"

"No, you can go with them. It's... fine, " Jo suddenly became self-aware.

Kate reassured, "You're sure? I can stay with you and we--"

Jo declined, "Go. Have fun. I should probably go home."

"Alright, but if you need me just call!" She held up the counterfeit galleon before tip-toeing to place her arms over the twins' shoulders and leaving.

Jo reluctantly apparated back to the silent flat. She always treasured the quiet moments at home, which did not come often due to living in a cramped space with two boys and their frequent rowdy visitors. But the silence within the four walls surrounding Joanna was deafening this time around. She lazily took off her jumper and headed to her untouched room. Last night, she decided to sleep on the couch. Not that one could call laying awake all night sleeping. Jo was aware of every creak of the floorboard, every rustling of the leaves outside, every flurry of wind that hit the window -- none of which eased her into slumber.

Now she walked into her room. The duvet was uncovered, ready for two people to nestle under it. The blinds were closed for some sound sleep. And one of the drawers was half-open with a shirt hanging off it. His shirt, she thought. She subconsciously reached for it and took in its residual scent. It smelled of firewood and leather, and a hint of her coconut shampoo.

Something caught her eye just as she was closing his drawer. A glassy orb with small figurines running around a familiar house. Upon closer inspection, she noticed they were supposed to be miniature versions of her family and her home. It was snowing and the kitchen window was open, revealing a tray of tiny cinnamon rolls inside it. A scaled-down Euphemia was walking out with mugs of hot chocolate and butterbeer while look-alike Fleamont helped James and Jo build a snowman. Behind a little tree in the backyard, she spotted a minuscule wolf, dog, and rat staring at them.

Jo exhaled, fighting back tears as she read the tag attached to the snowglobe.

To the strongest person I know: Joanna,

Remember we're with you everywhere you go. Happy birthday.

Love,

Sirius

A/N: Baaa I hate this quarrel, but I just had to spice things up. Xx lovelies!