Chapter 45 - Stupid

A/N: Trigger warning to any of you who may be sensitive to choking. 

Jo peered from behind the bushes she was hiding in to see if Kate was still in her line of sight; she tried to ignore Peter's heavy breathing beside her.

It was hard to see at night especially when a fog decided to show up earlier that afternoon.

"Stop biting your nails. Even James can hear how loud you are," Jo whispered.

He stammered, "Oh uh sorry. Just a bit... nervous."

"You think we have a reason to be nervous?" She genuinely asked in silent tones.

"Umm... well you-- I mean, we are always in danger..." he let out.

Jo's grip on her wand loosened when she noticed Kate reappearing from around the corner. She was walking differently, it was rather odd. Perhaps she had seen something disturbing.

Jo began to question, "Kate, you alright? We were beginning to worr--"

Suddenly, Kate's hands wrapped around Jo's throat. Jo flailed around trying to unclutch the pair of strong fingers that belonged to her best friend.

Peter stood stunned at the sight before him. Jo shot him a frantic glance for help, unable to cry out. She had dropped her wand on the floor as she fought for breath.

"Kate, Kate. It's me... Peter, a-a-and Joanna," Peter cried out, unsuccessfully shoving Kate out of the way or throwing her off balance.

He proceeded to cast, "Stupefy!", but got pushed aside by the taller girl.

Jo's face was starting to turn a light shade of purple. It was getting harder to resist or fight. Jo aimlessly scratched around, thrashed, and kicked the air -- anything that could weaken Kate.

She could faintly hear Peter yell out the stunning spell again until Kate lay unconscious on the floor in front of Jo. She scuffled away instantly after grabbing her wand. She needed to get out of there.

Sucked into the unpleasant black vortex for a few seconds as her mind wandered to where she could go: the flat, home, order headquarters -- she couldn't decide. She was no longer being choked, but she still found it hard to breathe. Once her body landed with a thud on the grass, a searing pain erupted from her shoulder. Crimson quickly leaked out from her jacket. Her eyes landed on the familiar pine trees lined around her. She felt safe at home. She could see the outline of James and Lily through the windows, James was shuffling around the kitchen while Lily rubbed her temples. But Jo's heart sank. She had to leave.

It was stupid. Beyond stupid. To apparate again after being splinched already. But she didn't want to jeopardize her family's safety or make them worried.