Chapter 9 - Ideals

The group apparated inside the Shrieking Shack in Hogsmeade. Remus internally shuddered at his unpleasant memories of Hogwarts. He looked over his shoulder to find James patting himself down.

Remus chuckled, "Didn't splinch yourself this time, did you, Prongs?"

"You know that was an accident. I didn't know where we were supposed to go." James reminded his friend.

Kate joined at the chance of teasing the older Potter, "Whatever helps you sleep at night, Jamie!"

The Gryffindors all hunched over to get through the tunnel to Hogwarts. After Lily placed the petrifying spell on the Whomping Willow they all safely passed through without a scratch.

Remus gulped - as did everyone else - as they drew near the Forbidden Forest. The Death Eaters would be there any moment as would Jo. Remus did not want to admit it, but he was fearful of what state he would find her in. Would she be the same? 'Maybe this is all just a really bad dream' reasoned Remus.

James' wistful tone arose, "I wish that too, Moony"

Remus blushed a little at knowing he said that out loud but picked up his pace.

"I think we should split up now," Sirius' monotone voice stated.

They all looked at the elder Black, unsure of whether he and James should even be there, but it was already too late to dissuade them and they certainly needed the numbers.

Remus and Peter went off to hide behind a tree. Lily and Kate climbed up and stayed on one of the branches of another. And James and Sirius used the invisibility cloak, becoming undetectable. All of them were trembling as snowfall made its way to Hogwarts but that was not the only reason for their uncontrollable quivers. 

All of a sudden, they heard Dumbledore's voice rustle through the trees, "Dear Bellatrix how are things with Rodolphus?"

A slightly surprised Bella replied, "Quite alright, Albus. Though I doubt you really care."

"You hurt me Bellatrix, I would think you knew I care for my students." was Dumbledore's genuine response.

"But not enough to support my Dark Lord" Bella countered.

With a cautious tone, the former professor proceeded, "That I can never get behind. But I still care for you all, I just cannot support an unjust cause."

Mrs. Lestrange never could pass up a chance to possibly convert more followers, "Albus we are merely trying to restore the wizarding race, I would think you understood that more than anyone."

"The wizarding race needs no restoration other than cleansing those pureblood ideals." was his curt answer.

Liking the banter, Bella persisted, "Pureblood ideals, as you say, are what will keep magic alive. You will come to regret not endorsing them."

Dumbledore was masterful at entertaining hypotheticals, "Perhaps, but I prefer to be wrong much later; gives you more satisfaction in the long-run, wouldn't it?"

"Perhaps, but I prefer to be correct right now," she switched his phrase.

"You never did have much patience, Bella" Dumbledore pointed out.

In a sing-song voice she noted, "Well, I never said otherwise."

Finally the important part, "In that case, let us discuss what truly matters."

"Do enlighten me, Albus," Bella stalled.

He began, "Ms. Joanna Potter"

"For the sword, yes I remember now" she continued.

Throughout the back and forth between good and evil, Remus' grip on his wand tightened. He could only imagine how James and Sirius were feeling, being so close and yet so far. At the mention of Jo, Death Eaters emerged from the shadows of the forest, beginning to walk towards Albus. He spotted an indistinguishable Jo with enchanted chains around her neck and dark robes covering her body. She seemed to be in a daze but every so often would look at one of the hooded figures. He was so focused on identifying Jo he did not notice when Dumbledore took out the sword from somewhere within his robes. He watched as the Headmaster carefully lay the lookalike on the snowy grass and Bella motioned for Jo to be brought closer.

"I think I can take Ms. Potter back home now." hinted Dumbledore.

Sparks appeared out of nowhere as spells began to spew forth towards the Death Eaters. Two of them were already knocked out. Remus and Peter left their hiding spot and made a run for the middle of the action. They began to duel the remaining Death Eaters. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed all his friends doing the same; Sirius had got a hold of Joanna. His momentary relief caused him to narrowly miss a spell. When he noticed who ejected it, his throat became dry. Werewolf was standing in front of werewolf. Quickly recollecting his cool, Remus used a disarming spell on his opponent. Fenrir Greyback retaliated with a darker spell. Remus avoided the blaze and continued with a stunning spell that actually hit the other werewolf. That gave him enough time for an escape. The others were already starting to retreat towards the Whomping Willow.