Chapter 14 - Acting normal

"You didn't tell our parents about this, right?" James asked the group.

Remus answered his friend, "No, we thought one of you should give them the news if you wanted to anyway."

James reasoned, "I don't think Jo wants to worry Mum or Dad, especially after that last mission from the Order."
Kate's sassy tone emerged, "You mean the one where you gave your location away because Peter was, I quote, 'tickling you'?"

James whined, "Blimey, he really was!"

"I wasn't James! And I said I was sorry!" Peter reproached.

"You guys truly act like you're still first years, settle down." Kate reprimanded.

"Oh as if you're any better, Wolcott." James' said in a mocking tone.

Joanna quietly laughed hearing her friends argue in the living room as she was changing. Today everyone was going to the Potter House for New Year's lunch. Joanna looked at herself in the mirror. Just a few days before she was with her parents perfectly unharmed. Now she was the complete opposite both on the outside and the inside. Her heart began to pick up its pace. She was getting flustered again.

"Deep breaths, Jo" whispered Sirius from the corner of the room, sitting down in the rocking chair he stole from Remus.

She did as she was told, hoping it would somehow, magically, solve the rest of her problems.

She put on her navy turtleneck jumper - the slashes on her neck and back were now successfully hidden. Thanks to Lily and Kate and a whole lot of dittany, the gash on her cheek was a very light scar that she was able to cover up with some makeup. Her parents wouldn't suspect a thing. Unless she gave her own self away.

Sirius walked over to her, "Quit worrying, you look stunning already." Placing a quick peck on her cheek, he grabbed their coats and they joined the others.

In hopes of getting rid of the nerves, Peter and Remus thought it would be good to apparate a few blocks away from the Potter's and walk the rest of the way.

Joanna was wrapped up in her own thoughts, "Act normal. Nothing happened. Act normal. Nothing happened." Now she could see her house from a distance, which only made it worse. "Act normal. Nothing happened. Act normal. Nothing happened," were spinning around in her head.

She was starting to get dizzy and her vision was getting blurry but she continued walking until James stopped her, "Woah! Joanna, did you hear me? I said are you okay?"

Out of breath, she replied, "Um, yeah I... was thinking"

She held onto her brother until she regained all her senses.

"I just needed a minute" she whispered, actually hoping her older brother wouldn't hear her express some sort of defeat.

"I know, but you have me and Sirius and Kate and Lily and Remus and Peter and everyone from the Order looking after you," he reminded her.

Filled with insecurity she spoke, "You shouldn't have to."

"You're my bloody sister and you are one of the bravest people I know. You should have the entire world at your disposal, and if I could I would give it to you right now," his voice took on a genuine tone of admiration.

And with that, Joanna sighed in relief while hugging her brother. Everyone else had seemingly been distracted by something far more interesting than a heart-to-heart sibling talk. They all regrouped and continued to make their way along the cobblestone street to the Potter house.