Chapter 37 - Adults

"C'mon Sirius, it's not a big deal," Jo groaned.

Sirius shook his head, "You cannot convince me your 18th birthday is not a big deal, Joanna Elizabeth Potter. Now let's go!"

Before she could protest, Sirius had grabbed her hand and stepped over the fireplace.

When they arrived at her parents' house, Jo noticed the dinner table was already nicely set up and could already smell the shepherd's pie in the oven. She wished she could spot her mother scurrying about in the kitchen, but was comforted by the sight of Lily doing so instead.

James appeared to greet - and tease - his sister, "Well well well, you think because you're 18 now you can show up any time you want!"

She quipped, "It's called making an entrance on my birthday."

"Merlin, I think the extra attention today is getting to you," James jokingly pretended to check Jo's temperature but she swatted his hand away from her forehead.

Lily rushed over to them and engulfed Jo in a tight hug, "Happy birthday, Joanna!"

"Yeah yeah, happy birthday, sis. You're one of us, adults, now," James loftily claimed.

"Hilarious. You still act like you're 12, James," Jo chuckled.

"Then you must be 10, Joanna," James rebuked.

"And you guys are trying to prove you're not... childish?" Sirius giggled watching the siblings bicker.

James pointed his finger at his friend, "Don't you even say a word, Sirius."

Sirius held his hands up in surrender, "Okay but only because I'm older than the both of you."

James and Joanna decided to put aside their differences and began to chase Sirius around the house while Lily laughed and took pictures.

After they all ran out of energy, Lily spoke, "Peter can't make it because his mum is sick again, and Kate and Marlene are going to come after lunch since they had to work on that report Moody gave them, and Remus--"

Coincidentally, Remus popped into the fireplace.

"Remus is here now," Lily finished.

He walked over to the couch where Jo sat on Sirius's lap.

"Happy birthday, Jo," he cheered as he went in to hug her.

James complained, "Oi, how come I don't get one?"

"Because it's not your birthday unless you're both twins?" Remus asked sarcastically.

James sharply noted, "I am making the lovely lunch you will eat, or did you forget?"

"Ha! James, I think you mean to say you sat and watched me make the lovely lunch you will eat," Lily interjected.

"Right," he grumbled as his cheeks turned slightly pink.

After a scrumptious meal, Jo voiced, "Thank you for doing this for me, you really shouldn't have--"

"That is out of the question," Sirius disagreed.

Remus continued, "We all gladly wanted to do this."

Jo's eyes dropped to her lap.

"Look we know it's different this time around... without mum and dad, but they wouldn't have wanted you to miss out on this milestone," James stated.

"And they are still here, Joanna," Lily sweetly pointed out as she placed her hand over her heart.

Jo shyly smiled, "Thank you, I love you all so much."

They all flinched when Kate broke the peace and shouted, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BESTEST FRIEND AND PRETTIEST LADY ON THE PLANET - apart from Marlene!"

The excited couple rushed to the table to drown Jo in hugs and kisses.

"You guys, thanks... but I can't breathe," Jo whispered.

They both immediately jumped back. "Oh sorry, Jo. Too much?" Marlene asked.

"Don't worry, I appreciate your hugs very much but I'd like to be alive to receive them," she laughed.

"Since we couldn't be here for Lily's wonderful lunch--" Kate began.

Marlene interrupted, "I made dessert, so I hope you mates still have room for cake!"

"Perfect, Marlene. I'll get the plates for that," Lily stood up from the table before James grabbed her arm and proudly announced, "I'll get the plates for my gorgeous pregnant wife."

When he was out of earshot, Lily whispered, "Nowadays I don't even have to ask him to help me with the chores, he just does all of them!"

"About time!" Marlene snorted.

"It really took you carrying his child to get him to do stuff around the house? Men these days..." Kate grumbled.

"Alright, Katherine. We get it. You like women," Sirius grumbled.

"Did I hurt your ego, Black?" she cheekily asked.

He bantered, "No, I love women, too," as he placed his arm over Jo's shoulder.

"Is there more than one woman you're getting with, Sirius?" James defensively questioned with the cutting knife in his right hand.

"No, it's just a manner of speaking. Um... someone else should probably be holding that knife," Sirius cautioned.

Remus chuckled, "I'll do it. We can barely trust James with a wand."

The table roared with laughter before they proceeded to sing a discordant and loud 'happy birthday' to Jo and make more jokes throughout the rest of the afternoon.