Chapter 51 - A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love

Kate and Marlene enter the flat hand-in-hand, practically bursting with giddiness. Jo wouldn't be surprised if they had skipped all the way there.

"Sooo... do you have them?" Marlene asked, failing to be nonchalant when her large brown eyes wouldn't blink.

Jo whipped out the three tickets to the exclusive Celestina Warbeck concert from behind her. The girls all shrieked in excitement.

"Ok, we better quiet down, Remus is trying to sleep before the full moon next week," Jo warned.

"I can't believe you got the tickets, I thought it was sold-out -- or only on the black market with their ridiculous prices," Kate exclaimed.

Jo nodded her head, "I did too until I... wrote Slughorn a letter."

"You did what?" Marlene queried.

"Well, I didn't downright ask for tickets. I pretended to catch up with my favorite professor and then I dropped the fact that we wanted to go but couldn't. When I received his letter it already included the three tickets!" Jo revealed.

Kate marveled, "This is brilliant. All those afternoons studying those nasty concoctions paid off!"

"You mean all those afternoons I was studying and you were copying my revisions paid off..." Jo laughed.

"I never thought Slughorn and his elitist club would actually help us," Marlene stated mockingly.

"These prove you wrong!" Jo waved the tickets over their faces.

As they all walked over to the fireplace, Kate teased, "Marls, you'll finally get to see your idol in person."

Jo remembered, "Merlin, you're right. Didn't you try to start a Celestina Fanclub at Hogwarts?"

Marlene's cheeks had gotten rosier since she entered. After a small silence, she answered, "Aye, but all I got was a couple of wankers messing with me so it never went through."

Kate comforted her girlfriend, "You're going to put them all to shame tonight!"

Jo passed around the floo powder, her hands were slightly trembling and she dropped some on the floor.

"Er, one of the boys'll pick it up later," she giggled before they disappeared from the room one by one.

*   *   *   *   *

After the encore for Beat Back Those Bludgers, Boys, and Chuck That Quaffle Here, the girls slumped in their chairs for a breather. Wizards and witches were starting to file out to the exits, but Marlene thought it best to wait for less of a crowd. The Aurors and Ministry officials were stationed there for security, a sign that not even a music venue could escape the reality of war.

Finally marching out of the theater, but before they could turn the corner to find a bar, the girls heard screams from the neighboring alley. A couple of stragglers were circling what seemed to be an impromptu brawl. It was three to two. Punches and spells were being thrown, lighting up the otherwise dark dead end with flashes of green, red, and white.

Without so much as a word exchanged, the trio knew they had to help break up the fight. As they drew near Jo could hear the insults being thrown: "Pair of mudbloods" and "filthy fakes".

Marlene shouted at the purebloods, "Oi you inbreds, leave them alone!"

Kate took the distraction and punched one of them in the face. Immediately, she grasped her balled-up fist and didn't notice the wizard kick her back. Jo began to fire 'stupefy' and 'expelliarmus' at the other tormenting witch. Soon, the random muggle-borns had run off, leaving the three girls to fend for themselves.