Chapter 21 - Goodbye

Kate grabbed a hold of Joanna's hand as they walked down the corridors to the front of the Great Lake where their graduation would be taking place. Their special Gryffindor robes fluttered against the light breeze during the middle of the summer day. Jo's heart was beating quickly and her breath was a bit unsteady. She was excited to finally finish her Hogwarts career, but also nervous about leaving the place she considered her second home.

"We've got this, Jo." Kate's voice reassured.

Joanna looked over at her best friend. "Oh I'm just hoping I don't trip on these robes, Kate," she sighed nervously.

Kate pointed out the obvious, "You would make a big fool out of yourself..."

Joanna replied, "Well that is completely reassuring and helpful."

"I can't take care of the both of us, I've got some anti-tripping of my own to do," Kate justified.

Shortly after the girls parted ways to sit on their designated seats, Dumbledore gracefully headed up to the podium to begin his speech. Joanna was counting down the seconds until the roll call would begin to finally become a "qualified wizard". She glanced over at the audience section to find her family and friends, blushing a little when they proudly (and loudly) waved and shouted to get her attention.

Then, the names started being called and Joanna was on high-alert once again. She winced when all of the last names starting with B had been called, clearly, Regulus was not around. The professor droned on and on as the alphabet continued, until suddenly

"Joanna Potter!" Dumbledore exclaimed.

She practically bounced out of her seat and headed for the front to shake hands with all of her now-former professors but all the ruckus coming from the spectator section was drowned out by her self-consciousness cautioning her not to trip.

Professor McGonagall whispered as Joanna said goodbye, "Don't tell your brother, but I'm going to miss all of you, Joanna. You were one of my brightest students. Oh, it just won't be the same without you children wreaking havoc in my common room." A slight smirk made its way across McGonagall's face as she finished her sentence.

Joanna smiled with a sincere tone emerging in response, "Thank you very much, Professor. I will miss you too. We all will."

Surprisingly, Dumbledore did not tell her much other than a traditional "Congratulations. Your hard work paid off." But she couldn't really complain.

After Kate's turn at the "runway" (as she called it), and the last of the students in their class being called, Joanna made her way towards everyone before she had to leave on the very boats that took her to Hogwarts in her first year.

James wrapped her in a tight hug, "Jojo! You did it! You're finally out like the rest of us!"

As he put her down her mother stated, "Congratulations, dear. Your father and I are extremely happy for you."

Joanna tenderly stared at her parents before speaking, "Thank you, really. You know I couldn't have done it without you and dad."

Her father joked, "That is our job, Jojo. Now I expect to receive half of your paycheques from now on for compensation..."

The Potter's all laughed at Fleamont's typical jest. A good sense of humor sure ran in the family.

"We'll let you greet everyone else, dear. We'll see you at home in a few hours."

With that, the elder Potters left and Lily stepped closer to congratulate her soon-to-be-sister-in-law, "I'm so proud of you, Jo. This is just the first of many great achievements for you. I can feel it."