Chapter 19

*Erin's POV*

I wasn't sure which hurt more; my head or my groin area. Both were really painful but I was more worried about the pain in my groin because it came with the need to push and the pain came pulsating.
When the next wave of pain came I groaned, which made someone aware of me.
"You're awake? That's great." A man said and I was pretty sure I'd never heard his voice before.
"Jay." My voice was a whisper and I still wasn't sure where I was.
"He isn't here. But I am." The man ducked down to me and I was shocked when I saw his face.
The right side of his face looked like it was melted and it was pretty clear to me that he was a kind of soldier.
"I know. Looks horrible. But all of this happened because of Jay. He left me to die." He pronounced Jay's name with a certain disgust.
"Jay would never leave someone behind." The next wave of pain hit me and I tried to fight it, knowing that I couldn't have my child here. It was too early and I didn't even know where I was.
"No? He wouldn't? Well he did. We were in the same unit and one night we woke up to gunshots. Jay said we needed to leave the place we currently were and so we ran. They bombed us, I was hit and knocked to the ground, I called his name, begged him to help me, but he kept running. He left me behind." You could tell from his eyes that he was reliving the moment, but another groan from me brought him back to reality.
"He didn't hear you. He must have thought you were dead." I looked for a logical explanation for Jay's behavior, because he would never leave anyone behind. That just wasn't him.
"I don't care. He gotta pay for what he did to me." He seemed pleased that I was in pain.
"I need to go to an hospital. Please." We had learned in the academy that if we were kidnapped we should never show a vulnerable side, but I was just scared for my child.
"Sorry. But I can't do that." His eyes widened and he looked down at himself where a knife was stuck in his chest. He fell down on me and I looked at a little boy.
"I saw you on the news. You're that detective that got kidnapped." He looked at me curiously.
"Call an ambulance." I whispered and passed out.
"Erin. Open your eyes." My eyes opened a bit and I looked into Shay's face.
Despite her threats of what she would do to me if I closed my eyes now, I couldn't help but fall asleep again and for the second time everything went dark around me and the voices fell silent.

*Jay's POV*

"Let me in there!" Atwater and Antonio stopped me from running into the operating room where Erin was lying.
"Jay. Jay!" Hailey was standing in front of me and yelled me name till I called down a bit.
"You can't do anything for her. So please calm down before the security kickes you out." I turned and saw a guard coming up the hall.
"We're all good here." I called to him and we showed him our service stars, which was enough for him and he turned away again.
"Jay?" Will came out of the operation area.
"How is she?" Will took me aside and motioned me to sit down.
"There was nothing the operation doctor  could have done, Jay. Your child was already dead. And it had nothing to do with the stress Erin was exposed to. Something went wrong from the beginning and it was only a matter of time before someone would have noticed it." My eyes had filled with tears because I knew how much Erin wanted children and also about the loss I just experienced.
"Was it a girl or a boy?" We did want to wait till the birth to get to know the gender.
"It was a girl. I'm really sorry, Jay." Will knelt in front of me.
"Does she know?" I couldn't image what this news would do to Erin.
"No. Not yet. But I'm going to tell her now." Will got up.
"I'll tell her." This felt like the least thing I could do.
"Are you sure? I myself have no idea how she will react and you have to struggle with it yourself." I looked at me like she wasn't sure what to think about my idea.
"I'll do it." I let him show me the room and went inside.

*Erin's POV*

"Jay?" I looked at him and saw the tears in his eyes.
"Hey." He walked up to me and hugged me tiedly.
"The baby didn't make it, did it?" I asked myself because I could see that he didn't know how to say it.
"No she didn't." He answered me and told me the gender at the same time.
"So we had a girl." I was always hoping for getting a girl and so I was happy and unbelievable sad at the same time.