Chapter 22

*Erin's POV*

It had been a month since I lost my child and Voight allowed me to come back to work.
"Detective." Jay opened the door for me.
"So kind of you." My actually good mood was dampened when I saw the looks everyone was giving me.
"Just don't look." Jay stood between me and the others and took me upstairs.
"Hey Erin." They all greeted me and I said thank you.
"A word, please." Hank motioned for me to come into his office.
"First of all; good to have you back." He hugged me.
"Thank you. I'm glad that I'm back." I hugged him back and than sat down at his desk.
"But actually I wanted to talk to you about how you are doing. Mentally and physically. I need you to be one hundred percent operational, you know how dangerous our job is and also that your partner has to rely on you. If you're not ready yet, it doesn't matter, I'll give you all the time you need." Hank tried to be sensitive.
"I'm ready to go out there. I don't need any extra time." I was expecting him to say something like that, so I knew what to answer.
"Alright. If you say so. Then I'll believe you." He sent me back to my desk and I started working my way through the files.
"Lindsay, Intellegence." I answered the phone.
"Alright. He'll be just downstairs." I hung the phone up.
"Trudy just called and said you should go and check on your car." I drew Jay's attention to me.
"Okay?" He gave me a confused look but got up and walked to his car. I decided to follow him, but he was faster than me at the car and so I heard his reaction before I saw it.
"What the hell." Jay looked at his car in complete shock. The front window was smashed and on the side was written 'Murderer' in wide red spray paint.
My jaw dropped when I saw it.
"There's a letter." I pointed to a piece of paper that was under a rock on the dashboard that probably destroyed the window.
Jay reached in carefully so he didn't cut himself on the broken pieces.

𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒊𝒕. 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒉𝒊𝒎, 𝑱𝒂𝒚 𝑯𝒂𝒍𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒂𝒅. 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒑𝒂𝒚 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕.

"Is that like a bad joke? Some police hating person thinks it's funny to annoy you?" I looked at Jay, but he looked like he wasn't listening to me.
"Jay?" I snapped my finger in front of his face and then he looked at me.
"Can I hold you for a second?" That wasn't quite the reaction I expected but of course I nodded my head.
"What is it?" He had his arms around me and we just stood there in silence for a few moments and enjoyed the fact that the other one was there, but I was interested in what he was thinking.
"That isn't just a police hating person. It must be someone that knows what really happened to Richardson." Jay put his arms even closer around me and kissed me deeply.
"Faking a call to be able to spend some time together? I expected better of you guys." Antonio came up to us and raised an eyebrow.
We stepped aside so he could see Jay's car.
"Ouh." He was too shocked to say anything else.
"We gotta call it in and see if other policecars got also damaged." Jay and I agreed even if we knew it wasn't about police in general but there was no way we could tell Antonio what it really was about. Not because we didn't trust him. But should come out what had really happened, which now seemed to be the case, he could not be punished for covering up because he really thought it was self-defense.
"5021 Frank...." He left us again and we were alone.
"What are we gonna do about it?" I wasn't going to let Jay go through it alone, I wanted to help him as much as he let me.
"We aren't gonna do anything about it. I'm gonna leave now and deal with it. You're going upstairs and don't you dare to follow me." He let go of me and since his words had been so strict I really went up, but on the way a thought occurred to me that made me run back but I was too late. Jay was already gone and had taken my car so I really couldn't follow him.
His sudden change in behavior, that he had hugged me, had seemed strange to me at first, but now I knew it had been a kind of goodbye. Jay figured that wherever he went, he might not come back alive.