Chapter 73

*Jay's POV*

"Stand down!" I looked at the officer, but saw that he still had his finger on the trigger and it came as it had to.
He was so nervous and shaky that he released the trigger shot the offender.
"5021 George. Offender down. I need an ambo to my location right now." I had handcuffed the offender because I've seen them run away often enough when they were shot. Then I pressed my hand on the gunshot wound on the shoulder.
"Jay. You're good?" Erin radioed me and sounded worried.
"Yes. All good." I looked over my shoulder at the officer who accompanied me today.
After the ambulance came and picked up the wounded man, I took the officer aside.
"What have you been thinking, Rankin? I told you to stand down and you disobeyed my order." I held him by the front of his uniform.
"I don't know. He looked like he was about to draw a gun." Rankin tried to defend himself.
"He had his hands over his head! If someone saw what was happening here, we're gonna be fired faster than you can say your batch number!" I was just angry about what just happened.
"But you didn't do anything." Rankin looked confused.
"Well maybe I didn't shoot him. But I am responsible for your actions. So I'm screwed too." I took out my radio because Voight started talking to me.
"Halstead when you come back to the district you better have a good explanation for what just went down." Voight didn't sounded amused and I could totally understand that.
"Copy that, Sarge." I put my radio away again.
"Who was that?" Rankin looked a bit scared but curios at the same time.
"Sargent Hank Voight." When I said Voight's name he just looked scared.
"The Hank Voight?" His eyes widened when I nodded.
"You know him?" Rankin's voice was a whisper.
"I've been working for him for the last years." I said and Rankin seemed like he didn't know what to say about that.
"We need to go. You don't let Hank Voight wait." We got into my car and drove back to the district.

*Erin's POV*

"Jay." I had waited at the door to the district until he came back.
When he walked up to me I stopped him before he hugged me.
"You maybe didn't notice but you got blood on your hands." I handed Jay a cloth, which he wiped his hands with.
Jay then gave me a brief kiss and a young man stepped out from behind him.
"Michael Rankin I guess?" I raised an eyebrow and he nodded.
"Hi. Erin Lindsay. Hank sent me down to talk to you. Jay he's waiting upstairs for you." Jay sighed, then briefly squeezed my shoulder and then buzzed up.
"You come with me." I had heard what had happened and I knew it was Rankin who shot the man, but pretended I didn't know because I wanted him to tell me the truth on his own initiative.
"I just arrived at the district a few minutes ago and got told to talk to you about something that must have happened but I have no idea what so it would be great if you could tell me." I offered him a chair and he nodded.
After a moment's hesitation, he told me what had happened.
"Detective Halstead and me were chasing a suspect and then got him in an alley. The Detective told me not to shoot, but I was so nervous that I did. I know it was wrong and I also plead completely guilty and please, someone has to say that Mr. Halstead has nothing to do with it, he clearly told me not to do it." I found it remarkable that he was trying to keep Jay out of it.
"It's alright. Voight will find a way to deal with it. Since you were telling the truth straight away, he must be milder towards you. You can go home now." I patted his shoulder and then went up to Jay and Hank.
When I walked up the stairs then I saw that the guys were still in Hank's office.
Hank motioned for me to come in.
"So what did he say?" Jay looked at me curiously.
"Just the truth. And he really tried to keep you out of it. Can't you do something for him Hank?" I felt bad for him and of course for Jay because Rankin was just nervous.
"No. I can't. Erin something like this shouldn't happen and I guess he'll have to deal with the consequences but I'll keep Halstead out of it." That wasn't what I really wanted but I couldn't change it.