Chapter 38

*Erin's POV*

It was about midnight when Will walked up to me and told me that Jay was out of surgery.
"So he's alive?" I just needed to ask.
"Yes. He's awake too. So at least he was when I was with him. He asked about you too, so if you want I'll bring you to him." Of course I wanted to see him.
"Jay? You're awake?" I knocked on the door and then stepped into the room.
"Just for you, actually." He was lying in bed and was completely wrapped in bandages.
"Why for me?" I sat down on a chair next to his bed.
"Wanted to see you before I fall asleep in case I'm not gonna wake up again." He cocked his head and grinned.
"Oh my gosh. Shut up, Jay. That's not funny." I couldn't believe he was joking about something like this.
"But I really wanted to see you to see if you're alright." He grabbed my hand and squeezed it slightly.
"I'm fine. Worried about you but fine." I smiled at him and he closed his eyes after he nodded.
"I love you." Briefly he opened his eyes again.

*Jay's POV*

I wasn't in much pain, but I found it hard to breathe.
"Erin?" I woke up and she wasn't around.
"Do you need anything?" A nurse looked into my room.
"Where's Erin?" I kept looking around. Since I wasn't really awake yet, it never occurred to me that she probably didn't know Erin.
"Is that someone from your family?" She asked and I nodded.
"It's like 3am right now so maybe just try to sleep and we call her tomorrow, okay?" The nurse asked but I didn't agree with the suggestion.
"Can you page Dr Halstead?" Will was my next thought.
"Yes. I can do that." She looked a bit hesitant, but then disappeared and my brother showed up a short time later.
"You're alright?" He checked my vitals.
"Where's Erin?" Right as I asked him she walked into the room.
"Did something happen?" Erin looked back and forth between me and Will in alarm.
"No. The guy here just paniced a little because you weren't with him." Will looked at me, shaking his head, then left us alone.
"I'm so sorry Jay. I just went to get a coffee. I didn't mean to scare you." She sat down next to me again.
"Nevermind." I was getting a bit embarrassed that Will had to come because Erin left for like five minutes.
"I'll stay here, okay? Next time you wake up I will be sitting here." She promised me and then I fell back asleep.
When I woke up the next morning she was sitting next to me as promised.
Her head was on my arm and she was sleeping.
I kissed her head and she started to wake up.
"Morning." She yawned and kissed my hand.
"Morning to you aswell." I smiled at her.
"Tried to stay awake the whole night but I guess I didn't succeed." She looked at the clock.
"Does not matter." I shrugged my shoulders.
"Want some breakfast? She asked and I nodded.
She left me for a short time and then came back with a tray of food.
"That looks disgusting." I was clearly not a fan of hospital meals and poked the bread listless with a knife.
"Then you shouldn't have run into the street." Erin said and took the food away again.
"It's not like I jumped in front of the car." I defended myself and thought she was just joking around until I saw the tears in her eyes.
"Then why do you keep getting hurt? I'm afraid for you now if I don't see you or if I'm not around you because I didn't know if I'll see you again." Tears ran down her face and she sobbed.
"Erin." I whispered her name more than I said it, but she got it.
"I don't even know if you're just having alot of bad luck or if you're doing it on purpose." She sat down next to me, still sobbing.
"I don't do it on purpose. You gotta believe me. It just keeps happening to me." I had my arms around her as well as I could.
"I'm sorry that I said something. It just was on my mind." Erin wiped the tears away.
"Don't be sorry. If I were you I would have asked aswell." I kissed her and she looked like she was starting to feel better again.
After that, however, she left me and only came back in the evening.
"Brought you something." She put a piece of cake in front of me.
"Thank you. Looks great." I smiled gratefully at her.
"Figured you wanted something eatable to eat." She smiled back.