Chapter 41

*Erin's POV*
-4 month later-

"It's not worth it. Just put the gun down. Then we can talk." I talked soothingly to Nina.
"What does I have to live for? I don't have a family. My job isn't exactly great and I'm an addict." She smiled at me one last time and then pulles the trigger.
"No!" I rushed forward and catch her. The smile was still on her face, I could still see the pain in her eyes, but she was gone.
"No. Please. No." Tears ran down my face and at first I didn't hear Jay approaching.
"Erin?" He touched my shoulder. His touch startled me.
"Let her go. Erin she's gone." He puts his arms around me and I put my head on his shoulder.
I had looked after Nina for the past few months, as she had a similar fate to mine, only with a different ending.
"5021 George. You can cancel that ambulance." I sighed as I heard him saying that.
"You guys alright?" Hank walked in.
I just nodded and kept looking at Nina.
"Let's get you out of here." Jay still had his arm around me and I just walked with him, past all the other members of the unit.
"Be right back." He put me in his pickup and then went back inside.
A few moments later he walked back out.
"What did you do?" I asked him with feigned interest, as my thoughts were still with Nina.
"Talked to Voight. He gave us the day off because you need it and I feel like I need to look after you." He gave me a brief smile, then turned the car on and brought me to my apartment.
"Should I cook something?" He offereded even if I knew he couldn't really cook.
"No. I'm not hungry." It was late in the afternoon and I hadn't eaten anything, but the loss was still too fresh to even think about it.
"Erin please eat something. If you don't do it for you do it for me." I nodded and he made me some bread, which he put in front of me and then I slowly ate.
We talked until it got dark outside and Jay wanted to leave so I could sleep in peace.
"Can you stay?" He nodded, but certainly wasn't thinking of the same thing that I was thinking.
So I walked over to him and kissed him. He pulled his head away after a short while.
"Don't." He stepped away.
"Why not?" I had tears in my eyes because I needed to think about Nina.
"You're grieving, you don't really want this. And tomorrow you will only regret it." I grabbed his jacket and was about to leave but I just took off my shirt because I knew he wouldn't go then, which he didn't.
"Do you really want this?" He asked one last time.
I just nodded and started kissing him.

*Jay's POV*

I stayed at Erin's place the whole night. What we'd done was just a reaction to the girl's death.
"Morning." I was laying next to Erin in her bed.
"Hey." She smiled at me and gave me a kiss.
"Where are you going?" She looked a bit confused.
"I'm leaving because we need to go to work today." I got up and dressed myself in the same stuff I was wearing yesterday and hoped that nobody would notice.
"Hey Jay." Antonio said when I walked up the stairs.
"Hey." I nodded briefly to him.
"How's Erin doing?" Kim asked as I sat down at my desk.
"I don't know. We didn't talk that much." That was the truth.
"There she is." Hailey hugged Erin as she walked up the stairs a few minutes after me.
"Are you good to work today?" Hank came out of his office.
"Yeah. I'm fine." She tried to get as little attention as possible and sat across from me at her desk.
During the day I looked over to her from time to time and she looked at me too. We were much more aware of each other's presence than usual and the mood between us had changed.