Chapter 40

*Erin's POV*

When I went up the stairs, Jay was sitting at his desk. As soon as he noticed me he got up and walked towards me.
"Can we talk?" His eyes were full of hope. I nodded as the rest of the unit wasn't here yet.
"So please hear me out." Jay sat down in front of me.
"I love you, Erin. I still love you as much as I did on the first day. And every day that I see you I love you more. That won't change." There was something slightly begging in his voice.
"I never said I didn't love you. My feelings for you didn't change either but I couldn't live with the way it was. The time with you was great and I really enjoyed it, but it didn't work anymore, I'm sorry." After that, I just left the room as I felt my eyes getting wet and I didn't want him to see me crying.
We hadn't caught a case and so I was just doing some paperwork.
"I'm going to take a witness statement." I got up and was about to leave.
"I'll go with." Jay grabbed his jacket.
"No it's fine. I got it." With that sentence I got glances from the entire unit, but it was worth it to me.

*Jay's POV*

"What was that?" Kevin leaned back in his chair and looked at me.
Well..." I reached into my pocket and took out her ring.
"She gave it back to you?" Kim looked shocked at me.
"Apparently." I didn't want to talk about it without Erin being around and not being able to tell them her point of view.
"You two really broke up. I didn't expect that, you were always so cute together." Adam looked at me in shock and I just shrugged my shoulders.
After that, I just stared at my desk until Erin came back.
"I can't believe you two broke up." Kim stepped in front of her.
Erin looked at me and I looked apologetically back at her.
"Well but I guess we did." She said it without showing any emotions on her face.
"What happened to you?" Erin had a bloody nose.
"The lady apparently thought I was a burglar or something." She shrugged her shoulders.
"Should I take you to Med?" I offered but she shook her head.
"No. I'm fine." She sat down across from me again.

*Erin's POV*

I was in a bit of pain but I didn't want to admit it to Jay.
Before I drove home I went to Med.
"Hey Maggie. Could you spare a doctor to look over my nose real quick?" She nodded and I was glad that she didn't call for Will.
"Hey Erin. What happened?" Natalie walked towards me.
"Some older lady hit me." I was a little embarrassed that it had happened, but I couldn't help it anymore.
"Let me have a look." It shone into my nose with a small lamp.
"It's not broken. You just gotta cool it a bit and it'll be fine in a few days." She said and I left the hospital again.
I was planning on going home, but somehow I wasn't in the mood to be alone, so I drove to a club.
"Haven't seen you here in a while." The bartender greeted me.
"Yeah. Got some things to do." He handed me a shot glass.
I drank a few and let a man chat me up.
He invited me to his room which was just above the club and I went with him.
The man was still relatively young, maybe in his early twenties, and apparently not that experienced, because he was not exactly clever.
So I let him try out what he wanted and offered my help here and there.
It wasn't about the fun for me. Just a distraction from thinking about Jay.
Since I hadn't just drunk less and couldn't drive anymore, I spent the night with him.