Chapter 20

*Erin's POV*

As I looked down on me I was covered in blood. The man with the melted face was standing in front of me, he was grinning like crazy.
When I looked down on him he was holding our daughter in his arms, she was sleeping peacefully and I felt the pain coming from my groin.
"Give her back!" I wanted to yell but my voice was so quietly that I nearly overheard it myself.
"There is no way you're ever gonna get her back. Jay gotta pay for what he did to me." He turned and disappeared into the darkness.
"Don't take her!" I screamed with all my might and then suddenly woke up to see a completely disturbed Jay sitting next to me.
"He got her. We need to get her back." I bagged but Jay made no move to get up so I tried to explain.
"The man with the melted face. He got our daughter, Jay. We need to get her." But he still didn't really reacted. I got just see something on his face change. Only for a few moments than it was gone again.
"Erin. We don't have a daughter. You had a miscarriage a few days ago. She didn't make it." With this sentence he let my world collapse.
After losing my daughter, I took refuge in a kind of fantasy world so that I wouldn't have to face the pain of the loss. I had told myself that she was only with the doctors and would be brought at any moment, but of course no one came to bring her.
"I'm so sorry, Erin." I started sobbing and crying bitterly because I had tried to convince myself that I was fine, which of course couldn't be the case and now I had admitted it to myself and the pain was worse than I had imagined it.
"I'm sorry, Jay." I said in-between sobs.
"There is no reason to be sorry. It isn't your fault." You could tell by his voice that he was crying aswell.

*Jay's POV*

The second Erin mentioned 'the man with the melted face' I knew who she was talking about.
A few years back we got attacked and Arny Richardson, that was his name, got knocked down by a bomb. I thought he was dead and I had other people I needed to look for so I made the decision to leave him. It had been incredibly difficult for me because otherwise I would never leave anyone behind, but I had to think of the others.
And now I needed to live with the consequences. Even worse, Erin needed to live with my stupid decision I made years ago.
After Erin fell asleep again I got up and grabbed my phone, I called Voight.
"Sarge? I know it is the middle of the night but I really need to talk to you." He said that it was okay and asked what I wanted.
"Patrol told me that Erin's kidnapler got stabbed my a child. Did he make it?" Voight said that he did make it and got discharged from Med yesterday.
"Thank you, Sarge." I hung up before Voight could ask another question.
I grabbed my laptop and started to look him up. A few moments later I got an adress and immediately went and grabbed my keys.
For a second I considered to wake up Erin to tell her where I was going but than decided that it might be better if she wouldn't know.
When I arrived at the house I knocked on the door quite loud but still no one answered so I simply kicked it in.
Upstairs I heard someone get out of bed quickly and I took out my gun.
"Arny!" I called his name and the footsteps fell silent.
"I was waiting for you to come here." His voice sounded satisfied.
"You disgust me. You have a problem with me and you take it out on my pregnant girlfriend? Do you know what that did to her? She lost her child!" My voice got louder and louder, but he didn't seem to mind.
"Do you know what you did to me? Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't find my face gross." His voice was full of anger.
"The second you signed up to become a solider you knew how dangerous it could get." I tried to control my voice.
"Yes. I knew how dangerous it would be. But they told me that I was suppose to be safe within my unit. You left me to save yourself I called you and you didn't even turn around!" He apparently didn't care how loud his voice was.
"I had more men than just you in my unit and I had to look after them too. Don't you think I had sleepless nights going through the scenario over and over again? Do you think it was easy for me to leave you behind? Damn it, we were friends!" All the emotions I never had been able to speak about came up.
"Yes. I thought we were friends too. But than you left me to die." His tone fell and then he lunged at me.
He landed a few hits and I also caught him several times until I had him on the floor under me.
I took out my gun and aimed at his head.
"You could never." He did the math without my feelings for Erin.
I fired my gun and his eyes glazed over instantly.
"I'm sorry." I closed his eyes and turned to see Voight standing at the bottom of the stairs.
When Voight saw how confused I was he walked up the stairs.
"I knew what you would do. Especially after the phone call earlier. And when a disturbance was reported at this address, I knew that you were here, which is why I took over the call. If we tell someone the truth about what happened and even if you give them the reason you did it for they will accuse you of murder and you go to jail. So the real reason stays between us. You don't tell Erin what really happened. If she asks and she definitely will ask you tell her you came here to talk and he reached for your gun and so you feared for your life and reacted. That's the same thing you gonna tell the judge." I really wouldn't have expected that from him. He was my Sargent, but that he protected me was not a matter of course.
"Alright." I nodded and he grabbed his radio.
"5021 Adam. Roll the crimelab to my current location." He called it in.