Chapter 44

*Jay's POV*

"Chicago PD." I knocked on a door and a young boy opened.
"I swear I gave the stuff back." He looked at me in panic.
"I actually have no idea what you are talking about and I don't care. We are here to get a testimony that someone who lives here has seen something according to our records." Hailey leaned next to me against the wall.
"That was probably my sister, wait a second." He turned around and ran up the stairs. Since he had left the door open, we went into the house and looked around. My first look fell on the gun on the table and Hailey had seen it too.
When I heard steps from upstairs I put my hand on my gun.
"Hallo?" A girl, maybe sixteen, came down the stairs.
"Hi. Detective Upton and Halstead. We're here to ask you some questions about that shooting you witnessed." Hailey was a bit more calm than I was.
"Yeah. Sure. Want something to drink?" She offered us, but we declined.
"So first of all what is your name?" Hailey had taken out some paper and a pen.
"Mikaela Johnson." Mikaela said and answered the following questions aswell.
We had all questions answered when the little boy suddenly stood in front of us with the gun.
"You are cops, right?" His voice sounded more curious than threatening, but he still had a gun pointed at us and we weren't wearing any vests at the moment so the both of us pulled our guns aswell because we didn't know what we were dealing with.
"Jake! Put the gun down! Or they will shoot you!" Mikaela got up from her chair and wanted to run towards her probably brother but Hailey stopped her because we didn't want her go get harmed.
"So if I kill one of you, will I get arrested then?" He was showing it in some way, but it still sounded like childish curiosity.
"If you shoot or even attempt to shoot one of us we will shoot you so I wouldn't do that." My voice was calm but Hailey and I both knew that this was about to go down in no good way.
"Bet." He aimed for Hailey's head and was about to pull the trigger but I shot him before he could.
"No!" Mikaela rush towards him, but he was dead.
"You're good?" I checked on Hailey first. Her face was pale but that was probably just the shock.
"I'm really sorry that it ended like this." I kneeled down next to Jake and Mikaela.
Tears were screaming down her face and curiosity still shown on the little boy's face.
"I didn't expect it to end in any other way. If you hadn't shot him, it would have been someone else. Jake has always had his own, not very healthy way of exploring and trying things out." She looked me in the eyes and I was not only seeing pain in her eyes but some relief aswell.
Hailey had called it in and so we needed to go to a district and give a statement about what happened.
"We already heared Detective Upton's statement so now we would like to hear yours." A Detective from the 23rd district was sitting in front of me.
"Alright. So we arrived at the house and the boy opened us the door. Then he went to get his sister and that's the moment when Detective Upton and I noticed the gun on the table.
Then we asked the necessary questions for our investigation and wanted to leave when the boy pointed a gun at us.
After me, my parte and the sister had tried to talk him down and told him to put the gun down he attempted to pull the trigger at my partner. Since I feared for my life, the life of my partner and also the sister's life, I shot the boy." I told him everything that happened.
"Then thank you very much. Your statements and Detective Upton's statements are the same, so you are allowed to go. Please do not leave town and stay available if we have any follow-up questions." I nodded and walked out to my car were Hailey was waiting already.
"I just got off the phone with Voight. I'm supposed to tell you that he thinks that you did the right thing and I think so too." She looked at me encouragingly.
"It was the right call." I just said it so I could believe in it myself.
"Jay?" Erin grabbed my arm and brought me to the locker room.
After briefly checking that we were alone, I admitted to myself that I was not feeling well. My hands began to shake and Erin grabbed them.
"You're alright. You just protected Hailey." She had kneeled down in front of me.
"But I shot a kid, Erin. They told me he was only nine. Maybe he would have never shot Hailey." My voice was trembling.
"You don't know that. But if he had done it and you hadn't shot him and Hailey was dead now it would be horrible. That's just one thing that we as the police have to face. You did the right thing." She put her arms around me and I placed my chin on her head.
"I love you." That made her look up to me and she smiled.
"I love you too, babe." She stretched so our lips could meet and then I kissed her.