Chapter 70

*Erin's POV*

Hank had sent me straight home from the crime scene because he had noticed how deeply I was affected by the case.
But then I found out, that the unit drove home a short time later, because Hank wanted us all fit for tomorrow so we could solve the case as quickly as possible.
"Hey babe." Jay came up to me smiling as I unlocked the door to the house and kissed me, but then paused when he realized something was off.
"What is it?" Jay had his hands on my shoulders and was looking at me.
"We got a case that affected me more than I wanted it to be. A 10-01 got called and when we arrived the officers were shot and there was a little boy. He was maybe six and he died. Jay he died in my arms." I was crying again and Jay held me tight and talked to me soothingly.
"If we would have been there faster..." I started to say something but Jay interrupted me.
"Don't do this to yourself. And believe me when I say this, as I'm a master of the blame game, I know that you did everything possible to safe him. Because you always does so it is not your fault." Jay looked deep into my eyes and I nodded silently.
After standing there a little longer, Jay picked me up and carried me over to the couch, where he let me sit with a blanket, tea and my favorite show while he started making dinner as Niran was about to come home from his playdate and then surely was hungry.

*Jay's POV*

At the next morning Erin and I got up early because Voight wanted to get the man that shot the officers and the people as quickly as possible.
"It wouldn't be a shame to sit this one out." I tried to explain to Erin as I relaised more and more how much this case did affect her.
"There is no way I'm doing that. This kid died in my arms, Jay. I owe him to find who did it to him." Erin was determined as always and I knew there was no stopping her if she didn't want to.
"Alright. Now that everyone is here go and look through surveillance footage and look for witnesses. Somebody must have seen something." Voight said and we all got to work.
Erin and I were sitting in the wire room when Sargent Platt walked in.
"Hello Detectives." She nodded briefly to us and was surprisingly friendly, but surely only because she knew how deeply these cases affected us.
"Someone is downstairs to talk to you, Lindsay." Erin got up and I followed her.
"You don't need to babysit me, Jay." She raised and eyebrow.
"I know but I guess it is connected with the case and so I just want to come with you." She nodded even if she didn't seem convinced that that was my intention.
"Are you Detective Erin Lindsay?" A women got up from the waiting bench.
"Yes. And this is my partner Detective Jay Halstead." She introduced me and I smiled at the women briefly.
"I know that you guys are probably in a case right now but is here a place were we can talk privately?" She looked around and we brought her into the unused office.
"As far as I heard you were the one to see my son last alive." A tear rolled down the womens cheek.
"Yes." Erin nodded and I really wanted to take her into my arms because I saw that it didn't let her unaffected but of course we needed to stay professional.
"When was the last time you'd seen your son and did you know why he was in that house? Because as far as I know you guys were living across the city." I started talking so Erin didn't need to.
"I have last seen him yesterday morning." She stopped and sobbed.
"I'm sorry. It's just..." The woman tried to hold back the tears.
"It's alright. We understand how you're feeling." Erin gave her a smile and then looked up to me.
When the woman had her face in the handkerchief I squeezed Erin's hand briefly and got a smile in return.
"It was my ex's house. We got divorced a year ago because he was just a so aggressive man and I didn't want my son to grow up like that." We both nodded and then released the woman as we had the information we needed.