Chapter 9

"The fog's so thick, you can't see anything," Sakura whispered, Sōma nodding in agreement. They were on a boat, on their way to the Land of Waves, but they had to keep quiet so nobody would notice them. As they got closer, they saw the bridge that was under construction. Quite a big one in fact.

"WOW!" Naruto nearly screamed. "It's—!" Rizaki covered Naruto's mouth with her hand, giving him a slight glare.

"Shush, Naru!" She hissed softly. "We have to keep it down, remember?"

"Listen to the girl," the guy controlling the boat spoke in a harsh whisper. "Why do you think we're traveling like this, huh?! Cutting off the engine and rowing. Moving through dense fog so they don't see us...?!"

"Mr. Tazuna," Kakashi said, making the old man look at him. "Before we reach the pier, I want to ask you something. The men who were after you, I need to know why. If you don't tell us, I'm afraid we have to end this mission once we drop you ashore."

There was a long silence, everyone staring at Tazuna as they waited for an answer. He finally sighed.

"I guess I have no choice but to tell you," he grumbled. "No, I want you to know the truth. Like you said before, this is beyond the scope of the original mission. The one who seeks my life is a very short man who casts a deadly shadow." Rizaki had to hold back a snicker, imagining a short man coming at Tazuna. Sakura elbowed her, the injured one to be exact, and the girl let out a quiet whine.

"A deadly shadow?" Kezuka questioned, Tazuna grunting a yes. "Huh...who is it?"

"You know him—at least, I'm sure you heard his name before. He's one of the wealthiest men in the world—the shipping magnet, Gato."

"Hm, Gato? Of Gato Transport?" Kakashi hummed. "He's a business leader, everyone knows him."

"Who? What? Who?" Naruto's brain was going at a very slow pace.

"Gato is a very powerful tycoon from a famous company, that's true," Tazuna explained. "But below the surface, with the same ruthless methods he uses to take over businesses and nations, he sells drugs and contraband using gangs and ninja. It was one year ago when Gato first set his eyes on the Land of Waves. He came to our island and used his vast wealth to take control of our transport and shipping.

"Anyone who tried to stand in his way simply disappeared. In an island nation, a man who controls the sea controls everything- finance, government, our very lives. But there's one thing he fears; the bridge. When it is complete, it will join us to the land, and that will break his control. I am the bridge-builder."

"Ohh, so since you're in charge of the bridge, you're standing in the gangsters' way," Sōma summarized.

"That means..those guys that we fought in the forest were working for that Gato guy," Sasuke added.

"That makes a lot more sense, now that I think about it.." Rizaki mumbled.

"But why hide it from us?" Kezuka asked. "Especially if you knew he was dangerous, and that he'd send ninja to eliminate you?"

"Because the Land of Waves is a small, impoverished nation," Tazuna said. "Even our nobles have little money. The common people who are building this bridge, can't afford a B-ranked mission. It's too expensive. If you end the mission once you drop me ashore, there will be no bridge. They'll assassinate me before I get there."

He smiled a little. "But don't feel bad about that. Of course, my grandson will be upset. He'll cry, 'Grandad! I want my Grandad!'" Everyone sweatdropped at him. Is he trying to guilt trip us? Sasuke thought with an annoyed look.

"Oh, and my daughter will condemn the ninja of the Hidden Leaves, denouncing and blaming you for abandoning her father and living her life in sorrow." Rizaki, Naruto and Sakura groaned. "Oh well, it's not your fault. Forget it." Everyone was groaning and sighing except the Uchihas, who just rolled their eyes.

"Well, I guess we don't have much of a choice," Kezuka sighed. "We'll have to keep guarding you."

"Oh, I'm very grateful!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Hm..just a mouse."

"Naruto, you're going to give us all a heart attack, maji!"

Naruto just threw a kunai into a bush, believing he saw something. Of course, he did, but it was a mouse.

"A mouse?!" Sakura yelled at him. "Yeah right! Everyone can see through your stupid act! You're so obvious it's embarrassing!"

"Naruto, those are kunai knives," Kakashi said with a sweatdrop. "They're dangerous."

"I'm a ninja! I'm supposed to use this stuff, dattebayo!"

"Stop trying to scare me, you scruffy little dwarf!" Tazuna grunted angrily.

"Wait.." Rizaki's ear twitched and she pulled out a small shuriken, throwing it at a tree. "No, something is totally there! He's right!"

"See?!"

"She agrees with you on everything!"

"I am not surprised anymore..." Kezuka sighed.

"I do not agree with him all the time!" Rizaki denied with a pout. Even I know when to not be stupid, unlike him.

"I've had enough of you two!" Sakura whacked them both on the head.

"Ow! Sakura, what the hell?!"

"Yeah, why'd you do that-ttebayo?!" Naruto rubbed where he got whacked. "Someone is following us, I mean it!" Rizaki walked over to where she threw the shuriken, and gasped when she saw a little snow rabbit, petrified.

"Oh my Kami, I'm so sorry!" She picked up the rabbit and nuzzled it with anime tears. Kakashi had a thoughtful look on his face, staring at the rabbit suspiciously.

Snow rabbits only come in the winter time, he thought. It isn't the season yet...so this must have been breeded somewhere, it couldn't have been in the wild.

"Look out!" Kezuka warned, everyone quickly turning to a huge sword coming their way.

"GAH!" Everyone ducked from the blade, some just barely dodging it. Turning around, Rizaki saw a guy standing on the handle of the sword.

"Well well," Kakashi started. "Zabuza Momochi, rogue ninja from the village hidden in the mist."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
1030 words

OH BOI MR. COW HAS COME WITH HIS TRUSTY SWORD WE ALL GONNA DIE JDJDKSDL-

So of course the fights will be the same, but there will just be more people fighting this guy. And he'll still somehow find a way to kick their asses-

I also accidentally copied chapter 10 on accident so Imma upload that too in a few minutes or so-

But comment! Vote! Feedback! Stalk like me-

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! <3