Chapter 57

"Now the ninth match; Naruto Uzumaki and Kiba Inuzuka."

"I've been waiting forever for this!" Naruto yelled with determination. "Sorry Kiba, but don't take it personally when I blow you away!" The said boy scoffed.

"That's what I was going to say!" He replied, with almost the same amount of volume. "Except not so nicely! Right, Akamaru?"

"Oh yeah?! Well talking is easy! Let's see what you've got to say at the end of the match!"

"Little squirt..." he gently pulled Akamaru out of his jacket and set him down on the ground.

"Wait a second—" the blonde's eyes narrowed and he pointed at the dog. "Are you kidding me? What's the puppy doing here? He's just going to get in the way!"

"Deal with it. I never go into battle without Akamaru!" Akamaru barked in agreement.

"Come on, isn't that against the rules?!" Naruto exclaimed. Hayate shook his head.

"No. Like Shino's bugs, they are a part of him. He is within the rules." The blond stared blankly at that. What the hell does that even MEAN?!

"You know what?! Whatever!! Fine with me!! I do my best work with a handicap!!"

"Ha! We'll just see about that!" Kiba looked at Akamaru. "Akamaru, you stay right here and leave all this to me. I've got it!"

"Can we cut the trash talk and actually get through on this fight?" Sōma sighed. This can literally go on for days, he thought. Especially if it's those two...

"Look, I feel sorry for you." Kiba shrugged. "So I'll just go finish you off with one shot, 'kay?"

"Is that right?" Naruto scoffed. He knew people wouldn't expect him to win, at least most people, but come on--do they really think he is that bad? "You're even dumber than you look if you think you can beat me!"

"You sure talk tough for a little squirt!!"

"When you're ready, you can begin," Hayate spoke monotonously.

Kiba knelt and held his hands together. A moment later his chakra started to become visible, and he got on all fours. That was when Naruto noticed the boy's nails grow longer, as if they were becoming claws.

"Here I come!" Kiba warned, though Naruto had no time to react because he was suddenly felt an elbow to his stomach and flown back into the wall, making Sakura gasp and Rizaki and Sōma wince. "This little guy is going out for a while!" The superior-looking ninja told the referee. "You can call the match!"

"Thought as much," Shikamaru sighed. That was quick.

"I thought Kiba might be too much for him," Ino commented. "But that was fast."

"Oh, Naruto...that was embarrassing," Rock Lee mumbled.

"He's not out yet." Everyone turned to Rizaki, who was still staring down at the battlefield with a strangely serious—faithful look. "You saw Sakura; we all thought she was going to lose to Ino but look at the outcome!" Sakura blushed a little, mostly out of flattery but also embarrassment that it was coming from her, of all people. Sōma sighed.

"As much as I hate to say it, I agree."

"Maji?!" Rizaki chirped with stars in her eyes.

"Shut up." She sulked and he waved a hand dismissively. "But you're right; we don't know what to expect in battle, whether it's this or in a real mission. So we can't assume anything until Hayate says something, got it?" The others who commented looked skeptical, but shrugged. It wasn't a difficult request, they could do that.