Meeting Him Online

You’re at a sleepover at your best friend, (best friend’s name)’s house. B/f/n won’t stop chattering on about some guy she met online.

“Wait until you meet him,” she says dreamily. “He’s absolutely gorgeous—”

“B/f/n,” You interrupt. “You can’t just start dating someone you met online. It just doesn’t work.”

B/f/n rolls her eyes. “Says the girl who still reads comic books and has never had a boyfriend ever.”

You pop a gummy bear into your mouth. “I’ll get a boyfriend when I find the right person.”

“Well, maybe you’ll find the right person online! Come on!” B/f/n grabs your hand and drags you over to her computer. She opens up a website called PerfectMatch.com and hits ‘sign up.’

“We’ll need to get a username for you—ooh, how about (your username)? It’s perfect.”

Seeing that b/f/n is determined to sign you up, whether you like it or not, you sigh, “All right, all right. Move over.”

“You won’t regret this,” b/f/n promises as you choose a password and fill out a survey.

Half an hour later, you and b/f/n are playing a card game when the computer chimes.

“You got a match!” b/f/n shouts. She drops her cards and shoves you over to the computer. You’ve been matched to someone with the username ‘Givemecandy.’

“Well, what are you waiting for?” b/f/n demands. “Send him a chat request!”

You know there’s no arguing with b/f/n when she’s this excited, so you send the chat request. To your surprise, Givemecandy accepts it right away.

Y/u: Hi.

Givemecandy: Hi. What’s up?

Y/u: Oh, my best friend just forced me to sign up for online dating.

Givemecandy: I know. My friends wouldn’t leave me alone until I signed up for this. You can’t just start dating someone you met online.

Y/u: That’s exactly what I said to my friend!

Givemecandy: I wonder what Fritz Donnegan would do in this situation…

Y/u: He’d fall in love with the girl, rescue her from the Imperial Sludge, defeat the Imperial Sludge, and then they’d get married and fly their star cruiser into the Sunset Star Cluster.

Givemecandy: Wait, you like Starfarer?

Y/u: Well, (favorite comic) is my favorite, but Starfarer is pretty good, too. Why?

Givemecandy: I’ve just never met a girl who likes comics, that’s all.

Y/u: Well, you have now.

Givemecandy: Have you read the issue where… (Long explanation of issue)?

You and Givemecandy chat all night long. B/f/n eventually gets bored and falls asleep, but you’ve never felt this wide awake.

In the morning, b/f/n asks, “So?”

“So what?” you ask, trying to stall.

“Have you changed your mind?”

You roll your eyes. “B/f/n.”

“So, you’re not going to chat with him again?” b/f/n teases.

“I didn’t say that,” you protest. “I just said that you can’t date somebody you met online.”

“Mm-hm.” B/f/n walks out of her room to get some breakfast.

You’re definitely not going to fall in love with a guy you met online. But you’re pretty sure you’ve just made a new friend.