Amnesia

You sit up and rub your head, wincing when your fingers find a nasty bump. You're in a nice-looking bedroom, although you don't remember how you got here. A guy with blond hair is asleep in a chair by the door. When you move, he sits up straight in his chair.

"Y/n!" he says. "You're awake! Are you okay?"

Do you know this guy? You don't remember ever seeing him before. And why is he calling you y/n?

"Who are you?" you ask. "And who's y/n?"

The guy sighs. "This really isn't a good time for a prank, y/n."

"I'm not pranking you," you tell him. "Seriously, who's y/n?"

"You're y/n," he says.

"No I'm not, I'm...uh..." you rack your brain, but you can't seem to come up with your name. "Uh..." You fight off a rising sense of panic. Why can't you remember your name?

The guy sits on the end of your bed. "You really don't remember me?" he asks quietly. You shake your head.

"I'm Lloyd. Your boyfriend." His voice cracks on the last word.

"I'm sorry," you tell him. "I don't remember you. At all."

Lloyd sighs. "Well, I guess I'd better tell the others. They've been worried about you. There's a change of clothes in the closet if you're interested."

"Wait, others? What happened?" you ask. Lloyd leaves the room without answering. You can see him wiping his eyes as he walks out the door.

§§§

A few minutes later, you emerge from your room wearing the clothes you found in the closet—a sleeveless red shirt and leggings. They don't really feel like they would be your kind of style, but they fit okay, which you guess is the important thing.

You make your way downstairs, and see Lloyd talking to a group of people in what you guess is the living room. There are four boys, a girl about your age, and an old man with a long beard.

"So wait," a guy with reddish-orange hair says. "She doesn't remember anything?"

"That is not entirely surprising," one of the other boys says. Everyone stares at him.

"After a severe emotional trauma like the one y/n has experienced, the human mind will sometimes use physical injury as an excuse to ignore the problem until the person feels strong enough to cope with it, which can be anywhere from hours to years," he elaborates.

"English, please, Zane?" Lloyd demands.

Zane sighs. "Y/n could not cope with what she experienced, so her mind used her injuries as an excuse to forget everything. Her memory should begin to return over time."

You cough to get their attention. "I'm right here, you know."

Everyone in the room jumps.

Lloyd glances at you. "So, y/n, ready to meet my friends again?"