He Meets Your Dad

Now that Lloyd is officially your boyfriend, you think it might be a good idea to introduce him to your dad.

Lloyd drives you home from another sleepover with b/f/n and you let both of you into your house. Your dad should be getting up any minute now, although it's going to take him half an hour and two cups of coffee to wake up properly. Sure enough, a few minutes after you and Lloyd get home, your dad stumbles into the kitchen and heads for the coffeepot.

You try not to laugh while your dad pours himself some coffee, spends five minutes trying to put bread into the wrong end of the toaster, and finally sits at the table with his newspaper.

You wink at Lloyd and mouth, 'watch this.' Then you turn to your dad.

"Dad, I put pepper in the coffeepot instead of coffee."

Your dad doesn't even look up from his newspaper. "Mm-hm. That's nice."

"And your car's being towed."

"That's nice."

"And you tried to toast an egg instead of bread."

"That's nice."

"And the Serpentine are attacking Ninjago City."

"That's nice."

Lloyd looks like he's going to lose it. He's clamped both of his hands over his mouth, and his face is red from trying not to laugh.

You look back at your dad. "And I want to introduce you to my boyfriend."

"That's n—WHAT?!" Your dad sprays coffee all over the table and looks back and forth between you and Lloyd.

Lloyd can't restrain himself anymore and bursts out laughing. You laugh, too. The look on your dad's face was priceless.

"As I was saying, dad," you finally say. "I want to introduce you to my boyfriend, Lloyd."

Lloyd stands up and shakes your dad's hand. "Nice to meet you, sir."

Your dad shakes his head and squints at Lloyd. "It's too early in the morning to be calling anyone 'sir.' Just call me (dad's name)."

"Okay...d/n," Lloyd says uncertainly.

"There you go...uh...Lloyd." Your dad staggers back into the kitchen. "Now, where did I put the sugar...?"

You look at Lloyd and shrug. "That's my dad."

"He's...pretty distracted," Lloyd says carefully.

"He's a bit better in the afternoons when he's awake," you tell him. "Come to think of it, we should probably get out of here before comprehension dawns."

Right on cue, your dad yells, "Wait, WHAT?? Y/n!"

You check your watch. "Five minutes—a new record!" You prank your dad every morning, then time how long it takes him to figure out what you did. Today, for example, you replaced the coffee grounds in the coffeemaker with pepper.

Lloyd shakes his head and laughs. "Let's go."