Showdown

You step out of the shadows right behind b/f/n and demand, "What did I ever do to you?"

B/f/n whips around and hurls a punch at you. "You know what you did!" You jump backward into the shadows and teleport away.

You don't know what you did! All you remember is that you and b/f/n used to be friends, and then that all went away for some reason. What can she be talking about?

A ball of light hits a pillar a few feet away from you and stays there, erasing the shadows and your escape route. You dive aside just before another ball of light hits the spot where you were standing and duck into some nearby shadows.

B/f/n is standing in the center of the room, throwing balls of light at you every time you appear. You always teleport away again, but you're running out of shadows to hide in. Before long, the whole room will be lit up, and then you'll be a sitting duck while b/f/n can turn invisible and come at you from any direction.

You need a way to put those lights out! Lloyd mentioned once that you can create darkness, but you've never done it while training with your powers before. Maybe you can figure it out on the fly? You concentrate, but nothing happens.

You remember something Sensei Wu said to you a few days ago: "You are holding yourself back, y/n. I cannot teach you anything more until you cast off the fear in your heart."

How can you be afraid of something, or rather, someone, you don't remember? And how are you supposed to get rid of fear if you don't feel afraid?

Why are older people always so cryptic?

You feel your memories nudging at the edge of your mind again. Instead of pushing them away, however, you embrace them. Maybe you can remember how you made darkness that one time.

It all comes rushing back; getting captured by Evil Lloyd, being used as bait to catch the ninja, trying to escape. And the missing piece of the puzzle: how b/f/n betrayed you.

Shadows sweep through the room, putting out the lights b/f/n has been throwing everywhere. The room plunges into darkness.

You teleport again, just in time to avoid getting punched. But this time, you aren't running. You're going to end this, once and for all.

Swirling shadows gather around your clenched fists while light shines between b/f/n's fingers. Neither of you is going to back down. You circle each other, b/f/n throwing lights, you putting them out.

Finally, you see your opening. You summon a cloud of darkness that envelops you and b/f/n. Without hesitating, you run forward and punch as hard as you can. Your fist connects with something solid, and you hear a cry of pain.

You let the shadows disperse and see b/f/n lying on the floor. She rolls over and starts to get up, but you punch her again, knocking her unconscious.

"Sorry, b/f/n," you say quietly. "You didn't leave me another choice." With that, you turn and sprint back toward the courtyard. You need to find the ninja.