Training

"The shadows are your element, y/n. You must become a part of them."

You sit in the middle of the training room, focusing on your breathing. Only a few of the lights are on, leaving the room dim and full of shadows. You're working on a power Sensei Wu calls umbracamouflage—the ability to become invisible by blending into the shadows.

You concentrate on visualizing the patterns of shadows in the room. Once the image is firmly in your mind, you imagine yourself blending in, hiding in plain sight.

"I don't feel like this is working, Sensei," you say with a sigh.

Sensei Wu swats you on the head with his staff. "It won't work at all if you don't focus, y/n."

You wince and rub your head. "Ow!"

"The beginning is hardest," Sensei Wu says in a gentler voice. "Over time, using your elemental power will become instinctive as you focus and train."

"How am I supposed to focus if you keep hitting me with that thing?"

The only response is a quiet chuckle.

"Fine," you mutter. You close your eyes and focus on your breathing again.

You're not sure how much time passes, but you're eventually interrupted by Lloyd's voice. "Hey, Uncle. I thought you were training y/n."

"I am," Sensei Wu replies. You open your eyes to find Lloyd standing in the doorway.

"Then where is she?" Lloyd asks.

"Right here," you say, standing up.

Lloyd jumps. "Whoa! You just popped out of nowhere!"

"I was there the whole time. Wait, does this mean I did it?" you ask.

Sensei Wu nods.

You jump up and down. "I did it!"

Lloyd hugs you. "Good job, y/n! I didn't even know you were there until you started talking." He chuckles as something else occurs to him. "Man, I'm jealous. The pranking possibilities are endless."

You poke his chest. "Careful, buster, or I'll start getting ideas."

Lloyd holds up his hands with a scared expression on his face. "Oh no, spare me!"

"Don't count on it," you tease.

There's a chorus of groans. Everyone grabs their baskets and starts pulling out plastic Easter eggs.

Lloyd sighs and throws up his hands. "Was that really necessary, y/n?"

"Nobody out-pranks the prankster, Lloyd!" you laugh. "Who's the prankster now?"

Your grin slowly gets wider. "Besides, I'm the prankster, remember?"

"Wait, did you just remember something?" Lloyd asks.

You nod and kiss his cheek before skipping out of the room. "Sleep in fear tonight!"