F I F T Y F I V E

School started up again way too fast, Madeline didn't really want to go back, but of course, she had to, besides she'd be seeing Regulus, Alyssa, and Camilla every day so it wasn't all that bad going back, plus she had quidditch to look forward to.

The first night back Dumbledore announced some unsettling news. Kids, fellow students, friends, children, started to go 'missing' over the break. Most being muggle-borns, and some half-bloods who were unprotected and out alone. He made it known that no one was to go out beyond the lake and never near the forest. Not like a lot of kids did anyways. The head boys and girls and the prefects were to do rounds every hour making sure no one was out, and they were to take the first years straight to the common rooms after dinner. Quidditch practice would be monitored by a single professor. Curfew was pushed back to 9. And Hogsmeade was canceled for the rest of the year. Dumbledore also assured everyone that Hogwarts was the safest place to be for the students but that these precautions were necessary and they helped keep the parents at ease.

Madeline hadn't known anyone personally that was taken, she looked across the table at Alyssa and Camilla with a hint of worry washing over her face, worried that one of them could've or still could be taken.

"Don't look at us like that. We're safe here, you don't have to stress worrying about us, or yourself, no one is gonna be snathed inside this castle." Alyssa said with a smile.

"That's what you say now," Madeline said looking between the two girls.

"And it'll stay that way. We're safe here, M." Camilla told her.

~

Madeline rounded up the first years with Kaden outside of the Dining hall, they began to walk together with the kids behind them, after a few turns they decided to have one in the back and one in the front of the group, Maeve, the first year Madeline sorta took under her wing, wondered her way up to the front of the group.

"Hi, M." She smiled up at her.

"Oh hi, little M." Madeline smiled back down at her. "How was your break?"

"It was good, dad was busy so my brother and I spent most of my break together."

"Oh that's a bummer, work is always pulling grown-ups away."

"Yeah but it's for good reasons." She said looking upfront.

"How are you doing with all this news? Does it scare you at all?" She asked, assuming that an 11-year-old would be freaked out.

"Nope. Not really. My family's pure-blood. And we aren't 'blood traitors' so I've got nothing to worry about." She shrugged her shoulders.

Madeline looked down at the girl, "Yeah but I mean, doesn't it worry you at least a little bit?"

"Not really, no."

"Well," Madeline laughed slightly. "You're braver than I am."

~

After bringing the kids back, Kaden and Madeline walked to the head boys and girls corner of the castle while chatting the whole way.

"And tell me, Kaden, what are your thoughts on this situation?"

"What situation?" He joked.

"Oh don't play dumb with me." She laughed and hit his arm.

"You wound me, Madeline Potter," He grabbed his arm. Before laughing. "Well to be honest it's a bit terrifying, I'm a muggle-born myself. So I have a lot to worry about."

"You'll be okay." She looked up at him. "I promise."

He let out a small chuckle. "My hero." He smiled as he drifted towards the left to his door. "Goodnight."