Chapter 44

Chevel’s POV

“Thank you for letting me stay.” I said feeling a lot lighter from the rest I got.

“My appreciations.” Gyth said locking his evergreen eyes on mine as he curved up the edges of his lips to form a smile trying to prevail over his impassivity. I smiled back feeling his genuine intentions.

I studied him as he wore his robe and noticed the dark lines under his eyes. It seemed like he didn’t have any rest at all and it worried me a lot.

“Let’s go. I’ll take you back.” Gyth said with a hint of doubt.

As he was about to open the door, I reached for his hand making him flinch all of a sudden as he turned to look at me. The next thing that happened made my eyes widen as he suddenly snapped my hand away, which surprisingly made him as stunned as I am.

“My apologies I was just tired.” Gyth said reaching for my hand but all of a sudden pulled it back and anxiously rubbed his brows.

He’s not being himself today and it’s been bothering me.

“Can I ask what’s wrong?” I asked, hoping for an answer I’d be satisfied with.

“Nothing to worry about. I’m only quite worn out for the day.” He responded.

I don’t know but it didn’t felt right. My gut is telling me that there’s something more underneath. Especially when he suddenly snapped. It was just unlike him.

Or maybe I still don’t know him at all.

“Promise me you’ll rest after taking me to my quarters?” I said in hopes that he’ll feel much better after a given rest.

“I will.” He said as he led me out the door of his chamber and down my quarters safely with worries on my sleeve.

“I’ll check up on you later.” He said turning his back to me. I can’t help but feel bothered about his wellbeing. The view of his back looked lonesome for some reason as his silhouette disappeared from my eyes.

The rest of the day went on with Vernon and Emily on my bed as we talked about the mentally exhausting training we had.

“Oh Emily, he’s Vernon by the way. He was my partner during today’s training.” I said introducing them to each other.

“Hi I’m Emily.” Emily shyly said as she shakily held her hand out.

“I’m Vernon. I actually know you. You’re quite famous among the humans.” Vernon responded, reaching her hand and shaking it softly.

"Well.." Emily murmured stroking her hair shyly.

I remembered that humans alike doesn’t like to acquaint themselves with Emily for what she did but I’m glad that Vernon is doing otherwise.

“Do you know that Lady Lilith wasn’t even the one in charge last week?” Emily murmured leaning forward as we followed suit, leaning our ears closer to her mouth.

“Really? Then who was?” I asked out of curiosity.

“Well she was for the remaining days but at the beginning, it’s this really dreamy man.” Emily said, squealing right after. Luckily, I covered her mouth before anyone could even notice.

“He’s got those ocean eyes. I could just drown in them!” Emily said with heart eyes as she resisted the urge to squeal for the second time.

“Ugh. The blondie reaper guy.” Vernon shrugged, rolling his eyes.

“Hey! Don’t call him that! He has a name.” Emily defended, squinting her eyes towards Vernon who’s pretending to have gone deaf.

“Emily I didn’t knew you’d be talkative when it comes to men.” I said and she shyly pressed her lips together.

“Huh. Don’t even get me started. That blondie reaper got her into trouble.” Vernon said and I immediately whipped towards Emily full of curiosity whilst she sent murderous stares towards him.

“Just stating facts here. Who would even scream, “What?!” in the middle of Lady Lilith’s speech?” Vernon said and my confusion flew up the ceiling.

“Your mouth just keeps on running like a horse, huh?” Emily taunted leaning forward, crossing her arms.

“Oh yes it does.” Vernon retorted back, also crossing his arms. “And Chevel’s going to know that it’s because you were too upset that your dreamy reaper will be replaced.” Vernon added further angering Emily.

I sighed, massaging my brows. These two quarrel like cats and dogs.

“Wait. Don’t tell me?” I raised my brow as I looked at Emily quizzically and she shyly nodded soon after.

“No way. The succubus you accidentally yelled to was Lilith? And the reason was because you didn’t want the reaper guy to be replaced??” I flooded her with questions and she pouted her lips as she lowered her head.

“Emily!” I teased her, nudging her sides while Vernon groaned in displease.

“Anyways, he introduced himself as Dante. Even his name sounds so dreamy!” Emily said grabbing my pillow and tightly clasping it against her chest.

Dante.

The name sounds so familiar. Where have I heard it before?

“Why?”

“Are you just going to sit there?”

“I’m Dante.”

I jumped up from the bed leaving a loud thud as the memories flashed back in my mind. I winced in pain as I held my head that clashed with the upper bunk.

“Chevel are you okay?” Emily asked as Vernon leaned closer to check my head.

“It ain’t bleeding so you’re fine.” Vernon said whilst Emily swatted his arm.

“Hey!” Vernon cried, rubbing his arm where Emily’s palm landed.

“Wait.. Is that Dante wearing a black hooded cape?” I asked and they both looked at each other in confusion.

“You know him?!” Emily screamed softly in excitement. Once again, my hands found themselves covering for her mouth.

“Quiet down, Emily.” I murmured.

“I’ve met him once.” I blurted out hesitantly, earning a raised brow from both of them.

“Geez, why are you surrounded by reapers..” Vernon mumbled, drifting his gaze onto the upper bunk as if it’s the most interesting thing.

“Ooh someone’s jealous.” Emily murmured, bumping her elbows against mine.

“W-what did you say?” Vernon said throwing a pillow towards Emily.

The pillow landed on her face whilst I pressed my lips to prevent myself from cracking up.

Soon enough, all eyes are silently judging us.

“That’s it!” Emily said, grabbing the pillow next to her and throwing it towards Vernon.

Vernon jolted to his right, dodging the pillow flying in his direction.

Yet, I still heard a crash.

I drifted my gaze towards Vernon’s back and as if a movie on slow motion, the pillow slowly slid down a man’s face.

I gulped in suspense as the man’s glaring emerald eyes pierced through the dim room.

“G-gyth?” I stuttered as the pillow dropped to the floor, revealing his utterly annoyed features.

“Holy.. I-I’m so sorry, great sir!” Emily cried out rushing towards Gyth and kneeling down to his shoes.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as I nervously wait in silence.

“Stand up human. Thanks to you I experienced how a slap from a pillow felt.” Gyth suddenly said stoically as I fight the urge to giggle.