Chapter 15

Chevel fell asleep in my arms, tired from crying out. I laid her in the window seat and tucked her in, her hair glimmering in the moonlight. I brushed strands of hair away from her face and went to my desk.

I sighed scanning through the files that Dicarius sent me. The human world has been quiet and no deaths are forecasted for the next few days. I bet Lucifer wouldn’t particularly like the decrease in human deaths.

I glanced over to Chevel sleeping peacefully whilst hugging her cat. I’m not really fond of cats. They’re like small evil ascendants of Lucifer, perfectly suited for the underworld.

It’s getting late and I couldn’t sleep at all. I’ve been thinking of a lot of things including Chevel.

I decided to take a bath fully aware that I won’t be able to fall asleep early tonight. I glanced towards Chevel one last time before stepping into the bathroom.

I opened the shower and let the water flow freely onto my body as thoughts started to flood my mind.

I’ve been thinking of the reasons why Chevel cried. Is she really that happy making a friend of Lilith? It’s just too absurd.

Knowing Lilith, she wouldn’t make friends that fast with fellow demons, what more with humans which they treat so lowly. It was not like her to do such thing.

I wrapped my lower body with a towel before stepping into the room.

“I-it hurts.. p-please..” Someone muttered.

Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I immediately darted towards Chevel.

I let out a sigh of relief as there’s no incubus to be seen.

Then again, no incubus will dare to try to allure Chevel knowing that I’m here.

I took long strides towards Chevel’s lying state. Her eyes are still closed but her breathing is heavy and her body became tensed, which made Kuppuru wake from his slumber.

I guess it’s just an ordinary nightmare but I should probably wake her up.

I sat next to her whilst Kuppuru jumped down the bed.

“Chevel..” I muttered as I caressed her tensed features.

A gentle touch was enough to wake her up as she sat down almost instantly while panting.

She looked at me with fear in her eyes. As soon as she recognized reality, her breathing became calmer.

“It was just a bad dream.” I reassured her.

Soon enough her face turned red as she covered her mouth with her hands.

“What’s wrong?” I asked approaching her with my hand. She let out a soft scream and proceeded to cover her eyes. I raised a brow in utter confusion.

“Y-you’ll catch a cold..” Chevel mumbled shyly. I looked down at myself shirtless, realizing that I came from the bathroom.

“My apologies. I’ll get dressed right away.” I said taking long strides towards the closet.

Demons really didn’t cared about what they wore. They don’t really mind walking around half naked. In fact, most of them find clothes as unnecessary.

But since I’ve decided to live with humans centuries ago, I’ve learned from Dicarius that it’s necessary to cover myself.

“Chevel, do you want to take a walk?” I asked all of a sudden before entering the closet. Her eyes gleamed in excitement as she nodded.

I quickly went into the closet rummaging through my clothes. I picked up a sweater and sweatpants knowing that it’ll be colder outside. I walked out and handed them to Chevel.

“Wear this. It’ll be cold outside.” I said and I noticed the faint flush on her cheeks as our hands touched. She glued her eyes on the floor, not even looking at me as she nodded.

Right. Clothes.

“My apologies for my lack of decency.” I said storming into the closet.

When I get back, Chevel is on the couch wearing the clothes I handed her. She smiled shyly as she locked her eyes on mine. I guess she’s pretty excited to go out since I’ve been busy these past few days and she just stayed in our room most of the time.

“Let’s go.” I said as I led her out the room.

Chevel’s smile never left her face since coming to the garden. We sat on the stone-carved chairs in front of the fountain surrounded by red painted roses.

I, myself never had the chance to indulge leisurely in my own garden. I never really understood the reason or need to do these kinds of things. But being with Chevel made me somehow think otherwise.

“Thank you..” She said gazing towards me. I looked at her with awe as her silver-colored hair gleams under the moonlight, complementing her eyes.

She then closed her eyes as she lifted her head, her hands supporting the weight of her body as she savors the cold breeze.

I never really want to ruin this beautiful night for her, that’s the last thing I want to happen. But remembering how she cried a while ago bothered me.

The last time I saw her cry was when she found out that her cat died. I could understand that somehow since it’s her underling or family like how she called him.

But the way she cried a while ago was different.

If she was crying because of joy of having a new friend then why the hell is she trembling so bad? It didn’t make sense for me. She’s certainly hiding something.

Truth be told, I’m not too fond of my underlings hiding things from me unless they give me an acceptable reason. Trust is always needed to be a great ruler. And if it’s hard for them to trust you to tell the truth then what would that make you?

As much as I care for my underlings, I decide to banish them when they become dishonest and unfaithful to me and that’s the last thing I want to happen to Chevel.

“Chevel..” I muttered. She drifted her gaze to me, a smile still sitting on her lips. A sigh left my throat as I braced myself.

“Can you tell me now what really happened?” I asked and she flinched almost immediately. The smile on her face suddenly turned into a frown.

“Nothing happened..” She said, turning away. I stood up trying to calm myself down.

“Chevel.” I said firmly, towering in front of her.

“I’m gonna ask you again. What happened?” I asked, more like an order, trying to suppress my anger.

She clasped her hands together as she lifted her head. She looked at me with fear in her eyes.

That’s what made me certain.

Something definitely is up.

A/N: Hey ya'll reading this story! You're all a blessing to me <3 Stay safe during this pandemic!