Chapter 23

A/N: Okay so I got locked out yesterday and seriously I got so scared that I might not be able to log into this account again T.T Thank God it got resolved today. Happy reading lovess!

Gyth's POV

After we had breakfast, I accompanied Chevel on the couch as she read a book while I did my work.

I felt my mouth twist upward as I look at her. Her smile never left her face since yesterday. It felt weird that I'm smiling because she's happy. I've never been vulnerable to such emotions before.

After drying out Chevel's clothes last night, we went home feeling elated and exhausted at the same time. I prepared a warm bath for Chevel and fortunately she didn't get sick from being drenched.

Yesterday made me feel things I haven't felt for a long time. I've been in the underworld for almost two centuries and never have I felt pleased once, apart from my fondness of wine.

"Gyth? I've been dying to ask.." Chevel said all of a sudden, averting my attention towards her.

"Yes?" I responded, my curiosity rising up.

"Can you tell me how were you when you were human?" She asked with a smile still painted on her lips.

Her question somehow caught me off guard. As much as I want to provide her with a fitting answer, all traces of my waking life were all obliterated.

"Unfortunately, all I remember is my name." I said and Chevel's eyes widened. The smile on her lips are fading away as she looked at me warily.

"How come?" She asked.

"When a human gets vested by the king to be a grim reaper, he erases all of our memories except our names I guess." I answered.

It's how it always worked. The king chooses the humans who will enter the school for grim reapers mandatorily. I don't exactly know what criteria the king uses, all I know is that he wipes out our memories from our waking life.

"I see.." Chevel said with a frown on her face.

Even if I knew of what I am in my waking life, I doubt that there'll be something interesting for me to share to Chevel.

To be honest, I wasn't really interested in my waking life. But sometimes I find myself thinking about who I really was.

What was I like?

Do I also have people I can call as family?

How did I die?

I find myself questioning these things occasionally. Yet again, there's really nothing I can do about it. The king's words are absolute. Defying him will only make your life a living hell.

I drifted my gaze towards Chevel as she woozily placed the book back on the shelves. My attention suddenly averted upon hearing the knocking sound on the door.

"Come in." I said and Dicarius came storming through the door, leaving Chevel appalled.

I squinted my eyes towards his panicky figure. Dicarius stopped in front of me as he chased his breath.

"Master, the king summoned for you." He said between breaths.

I furrowed my brows upon hearing his words. I wondered what could it be this urgent for the king to summon me without any prior notice whatsoever.

I stood up from the couch and walked towards my desk. I shifted my gaze towards the calendar and saw that it's only the middle of the month.

"It's still halfway till the end of the month." I said, glancing towards Chevel. She looked confused and worried at the same time.

"Yes, but the king was clear on summoning you." Dicarius said and I sighed.

It was just yesterday when I decided to make everyday bearable for Chevel. Things have been going great and now it feels like I'm waking up from a short-lived dream.

"I understand. You can go now." I said, running my hands to my face in frustration.

Lucifer never called for my presence unless it's the end of the month. I made it loud and clear to him that it's the only day in a month I'm ever going to visit him. I never agreed to him appointing me as the head of the grim reapers in the first place.

I let out a long sigh as I leaned my back against the chair. I shifted towards Chevel with wondering eyes.

"Are you going out?" She asked softly, the wary in her eyes showing visibly. I can't help but feel bad for her.

There's no way I'm taking her to the king's castle, knowing fully well that it's packed with demons. Mostly because of how Lucifer might take an interest in her and that's the last thing I want to happen.

"I am." I said, nodding my head.

I slowly walked towards the couch where Chevel is seated. Her features tell me the uneasiness she's feeling. I sat beside her and she suddenly tensed up.

"Chevel.." I muttered, facing her. She turned to face me and slowly lifted her head to my eye level.

"I won't take long." I assured her.

I stood up and picked up my coat and scythe from the closet. I went back to the room and found Chevel standing against the door. Her gaze darted towards me as I stepped out of the closet.

I walked towards her and reached for her fidgeting fingers. She flinched on my touch as she lifted her head to look me in the eyes.

"You'll be back before dusk?" Chevel asked as she looked at me intently, anticipating the answer I'm going to give.

I sighed as I tucked the silver strands of hair behind her ears.

In fact, I don't really want to go. It's such a drag and it disgusts me seeing how they treat humans in that castle. Nevertheless, I don't have a choice anyway.

I don't want to get the king's attention by not coming. Somehow, I don't want him knowing anything about Chevel.

"Of course." I said, trying to put on a decent smile.

She flinched upon seeing my smile and forced a smile back as she anxiously stepped aside to give way for me.

I patted her head before walking out the door.

Well, there goes my attempt in trying to wear a smile.